• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Questions

balnisj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ex. Sport
2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC

Just a few things i need help with:

1. I lost about 3/4 of a quart of oil on my last 3k miles. Its not dripping oil on the ground at all. However, while i was under the car i noticed that oil was all over everything under the motor for the most part. It seemed to be mostly on the oil pan and on the power steering cooler area. Any idea where it could be coming from and how to stop it?

2. When I start my car after letting it sit for a few days i get a loud but short growl/low grind noise from the passengers side of the engine i think. It only happens when i don't start the car for a few days. Any ideas?

3. Lastly, my tires are wearing more on the inside than the out. Ive had it aligned twice, new shocks, and had them check the other suspension components. They claim "nothing" is wrong. What should i check?

For #3, ball joints most likely, and could be your wheel bearings possibly. By jacking up the front end till the front tires are off the ground, and wiggle testing the wheel to see if you have upward and downward wiggle or slop will tell you more.

#2, Sounds like a starter is going bad. Remove it and get it bench/load tested, or get a new one. Either way, I would safely bet it being the starter.

#1, Wash the underside of the engine with degreaser, and check again for the leak. I would guess you have an oil pan gasket that is leaking.

Back