2001 Ford Explorer XLT Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer XLT Won't Start

LennyBrown

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I've recently run into a problem with my Explorer not starting. When I attempt to start the car, it doesn't crank or make any noise; it just sits in dead silence.

When I have the key in the ignition with the front door open, the car make the alarm sound as it normally does, but then gets cut off by a clicking sound coming from the dashboard, then resumes the alarm sound before getting cut off by the click again.

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with my car not starting, but I checked my fuses and none of them were blown, and I even had the starter replaced to no avail.

I was told that my problem might be the starter solenoid, and I know the starter for the Explorer already has a solenoid attached to it. I was also told that I should have a solenoid buy the fuse box inside the engine, yet I can't seem to find it.

Basically, what I need to know is:
Where is the starter solenoid located in a 2001 Ford Explorer XLT? Google seems to have pictures of solenoids in other Ford vehicles except for mine, and I'm having a hard time trying to find it without knowing where it would actually be located.

What else could possibly be preventing my car from turning over and starting if it isn't the starter solenoid?

What is the clicking sound coming from my dash?

If anyone can provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The solenoid is on the starter itself.

You could try to bang on the starter with a hammer to see if it will turn over, but really you should pull it and take it to the auto store to get it tested.

The hammer trick will sometimes work on old starters because over time the motor will have a favorite resting spot that wears out. Hitting it with the hammer might jolt it just enough out of that spot to let it turn.

If the hammer gets it moving, I highly recommend changing the starter.

I already have a brand new starter in my car, and it's still not turning over and starting. Are you sure there isn't something else preventing my car from starting?

Is it actually connected then?
I had a 1994 Taurus SHO with a starter wire that would like to come loose to disconnect itself so after stopping and wanting to start again no cranking would happen.

Starter relay on the driver's fender of the engine bay.

If you have a repair manual, there's a diagnostic. The cliff notes are to turn the key to the RUN position, and jump the 2 big terminals on the relay with a screw driver. This should engage the starter. Refer to the manual for a more detailed explanation.

Sorry, you are beyond my expertise now.

I do know that at the real shops, they have the ability to check not just for continuity, but if the wire can actually handle the load.

For example, with the starter under your vehicle, the copper wire is prone to corrosion (especially in Midwestern winters). There is a point where a corroded wire will no longer be able to turn the starter, but will still show 12 - 16 volts with a regular multi meter.

I'm pretty sure your solenoid is on your starter and should have been replaced with the new starter. Did you have three wires to your starter, or just one?

Starter relay on the driver's fender of the engine bay.

If you have a repair manual, there's a diagnostic. The cliff notes are to turn the key to the RUN position, and jump the 2 big terminals on the relay with a screw driver. This should engage the starter. Refer to the manual for a more detailed explanation.

+1

Or your battery might be too weak to cause the relay to make contact if the relay is on it's way out.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...year=2000&make=Ford&model=Explorer&vi=1362440

Cheap part, easy 5-10 minutes to replace with basic hand tools.

Good Luck,

Back