2001 intermittent starting problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

natesaintamour

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2001
Strange problem that i have yet to read has been replicated on this forum:

Car will crank, but occasionally not start. The problem is random as far as i can tell, and may happen 1 in 5 times, sometimes even after only 5 minutes of being idle. Sometimes it will also start, vibrate violently for 2 seconds, than fail, this happens maybe 1 in 10 times. Once it does start it will run perfectly. The problems seemed to have started 6 months ago after a jiffy lube fuel filter change, but could have been before that. The first thing i did was clean the terminals, than i replaced the battery as it was old, and the car started immediately after a jump one day, which made me think the problem was due to a weak battery. The problem went away entirely for about 4 months, but has resumed in full force even with the new battery.

Thank you in advance for reading this post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi natesaintamour,
did you find out already what the problem is?

Exactly same problem here. I'm going to change the fuel filter and see if it makes any difference.

You didn't happen to test the alternator did you? I had a problem similar and it was the IAC valve.

You didn't happen to test the alternator did you? I had a problem similar and it was the IAC valve.

Thanks for the reply.
No, I didn't check the IAC valve yet, but I will soon (when it's warmer outside). I saw, that the fuel filter was replaced at 90k km (110k now).

I have the same issue. you crank the engine and it attempts to fire but then cuts out, on second attempt it normally chugs a bit and then runs fine. occasionaly it just cranks + won't fire at all but this is normally when the engines warm. i've changed the fuel filter + cleaned the iscv among other things but am still non the wiser.

Mine was having an issue with the MAF sensor replaced that then it realllly chugged when first started now new code dor IAT sensor. Oy

Take a hard non-metalic object and give your fuel tank a good thump the next time it doesn't start. If it starts up after that, then you can suspect something in your fuel pump. I just recently lost mine, but I went a week without replacing it by 'encouraging' it.

If it does start, grumble, then shut off, check all the vacuum hoses and MAF. A disconnected hose or a leak somewhere will definitely shut her down.

Having the grumbling thing going on right now. Doesn't shut off completely but damn near. Code says IAT sensor. But there isnt one!!! Looking where the haynes manual says it should be . Nope. Is it possible part of the MAF? Idk if my truck being a limited would affect that.

Oh! It onlu does that when i dont let the car warm up. And drive. Or when i first start it in the morning.

i guess a code read would be helpful first (talking to myself). im going to be just a liiiiitle bit perterbed if its the IAC again. thats what i get for buying cheapo.

Probably the fuel pump.

My IAC was clean. Like new clean.

Back