2001 Sport - Driver Seat Repair / Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport - Driver Seat Repair / Replacement

Ghetzi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Just failed my annual safety inspection because the driver seat isn't doing so hot. So my two options are to find a new seat and replace it or...and here comes the genius part...see if there's a way to take part of the passenger side seat and swap it over. I recognize the patterns wouldn't be the same to bolt it to the floor as a whole, but my thought process tells me the base and back to the seats themselves are probably the same so I could do a little creative adjusting. Just need to swap some things around, you know? This is the same logic that I applied to many failed *great* ideas, so figured I'd ask you guys first. So the question is, is it possible (regardless of difficulty) to use the passenger side seat on the driver's side? Or do I need to start searching for seats?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it's possible. I've done it several times on 1st gen Explorer seats, even Aerostar seats. The metal frame under the upholstery and foam is the same for both sides. You'll have to use the track for the appropriate side, and the hardware/hinge, etc will need to be swapped to keep it on the correct side of the seat, but all the holes for the hinges, hardware, recliner latch, are already there on both sides of the metal seat frame. Very common practice to replace worn foam and upholstery on the driver's seat with that from the passenger seat since the passenger seat typically has less wear.

Yes, it's possible. I've done it several times on 1st gen Explorer seats, even Aerostar seats. The metal frame under the upholstery and foam is the same for both sides. You'll have to use the track for the appropriate side, and the hardware/hinge, etc will need to be swapped to keep it on the correct side of the seat, but all the holes for the hinges, hardware, recliner latch, are already there on both sides of the metal seat frame. Very common practice to replace worn foam and upholstery on the driver's seat with that from the passenger seat since the passenger seat typically has less wear.

Perfect - thanks very much for your insight! It's exactly what I needed - will be taking the project on this weekend.

I think I'm going to try this over the weekend too. passenger seats take a lot less of a beating.

Well, I pulled everything apart (was pretty easy, actually) and found the issue is a cracked bottom seat frame. Figured it wouldn't be an issue to make the swap until I noticed that although the frame is the same, there are pieces welded to each side depending on whether it is the driver or passenger side. That ended that project. Don't want to replace the seat so I'm looking for some salvage yard and welding options. Anyone know of a good vendor for seat frames? Everyone seems to want to sell covers but I need the metal frame from the driver side.

Well, I pulled everything apart (was pretty easy, actually) and found the issue is a cracked bottom seat frame. Figured it wouldn't be an issue to make the swap until I noticed that although the frame is the same, there are pieces welded to each side depending on whether it is the driver or passenger side. That ended that project. Don't want to replace the seat so I'm looking for some salvage yard and welding options. Anyone know of a good vendor for seat frames? Everyone seems to want to sell covers but I need the metal frame from the driver side.

Just get it welded. It'll cost you next to nothing.

Same here. I went to a junk yard and found a drivers side seat and was planning on taking the passenger seat frame and swapping it with the drivers seat frame that I had bought. after looking at what all was involved with that I just put the passenger seat back where it was and installed the drivers seat that I got from the junkyard.
Just a note to say it is NOT easy to get the power seat out if you cant move it. Luckily it was far enough forward in the X that I could get a ratchet on them.

Back