2001 Sport has me stumped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

primos6710

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I have been a member since Jan 2012 and have gotten alot of good info from all of your post. But now I have a problem that I can't seem to find any answers. I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with a 4.0. That is pushing coolant into the expansion tank until it overflows. In the morning I drain the coolant out of the expansion tank (to bring down to cold fill level) put the coolant in the radiator till it is full. Then drive down the road about 30 miles open the hood and the expansion tank is full and air bubbling up through the coolant. No matter how well I burp the system, the same thng happens. Temperature gauge stays in mid range the whole time. No white smoke, exhaust does have alot of condensation. No coolant in oil. Coolant does look dirty, though. I did a compression check and all cylinders were between 150 and 160. The motor is remanufactured and has about 30,000 miles. Thermostat and radiator cap were just replalced.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say head gaskets. Do a pressure check on the coolant system. That's the only thing that would cause excessive overflow. What does it do it you run the car at idle for a while with the Rad cap off. If its running over the radiator its probably head gaskets

Going to do a pressure test on radiator and leak down test on cylinders this week. With the car running at idle for a while and the radiator cap off the coolant level rises and falls when the thermostat opens. Doesn't overflow though until I put the cap back on. Is there anything other than blown head gasket that can cause the pressure to build up.

Also pressure test your radiator cap. If its too high it'll over fill into your surge tank

Started tearing the motor apart to replace head gaskets. I have a 4.0 SOHC. That has got to be the craziest engine design I have ever seen in my life. Not a big fan of Ford Engineering right now.

Day two of the top end tear down. Finally got both heads off. I had to order two remanufactured heads. I went with Surefire cylinder heads from Autozone. They have the same part number as the Power Torque Brand at O'rielly's and the Spectra Brand at Advance. It was a choice between them and Moore's Brand. I am cleaning up the mounting surfaces on the block today and then waiting for the heads to come in. So we can start putting this beast back together.

Back