• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Issues

20014X4SportTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4X4
My 2001 Ford Explorer is experiencing a myriad of problems at 167000 miles. I recently replaced the water pump and the truck did overheat.

Problem 1: Oil pressure sticks

The gauge indicating oil pressure does not lift at all when you start the engine after a couple hours of sitting. The 'check gauges' light also illuminates. After 5 minutes or so the needle jumps to the middle position and the 'check gauges' light goes out.
Advice I have receieved says heavier oil or oil stabilizer. I plan to try 5w40 on my next change.

Problem 2: 4x4 not engaging

There is a dial above the radio for selecting '2WD' '4LO' and '4HIGH'. There are also indicator lights on the gauge cluster that say '4WD LO' and '4WD High'.
For some reason when you turn the dial while braking in Neutral, nothing happens. No lights or noises from the dash or passenger side kick panel. Also, the lights on the gauge cluster that say '4WD LO' and '4WD High' do not illuminate during start-up like they once did. I have replaced the two fuses relating to 4x4 with no change.

Problem 3: Oil leaking

There is oil leaking from one of the seals (Engine or oil pan). The oil is falling on a hot part and making a horrible smell.
The suggested answer is repair the seals is there anything...cheaper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

question 1 and 3 can be inter-related in the sense that you cracked your head and or head gasket. its also possible you warped your head causing leaking. damage to the heads can cause oil and coolant to mix. this mix makes a thick snot (booger) like consistancy and this snot can gum up your oil pressure sender unit (pressure gauge sensor). obviously with a break in anything this mix and/or straight coolant or oil can be leaking from the heads onto the manifolds.

as for question 2 check the plugs on the 4X4 control unit behind the passenger kick panel. usually unplugging and replugging those connector(s) and the one on the electric motor on the back of the transfer case.

Try changing the oil pressure sender first. I had the same issues on mine, and it was the sender.

Back