2001 Sport Trac RPM/Power issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac RPM/Power issue?

besebabane

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
(NOTE: 2 weeks prior to this all 3 ERG valves were replaced)

Cranking hard, takes 2 or 3 tries to get it to stay on.

RPMs are not consistent sometimes idling very low to the point of shutting off.

Will lose RPMs and power while driving and not continue any forward movement.

Actuator was broken and first thing replaced.
Idle Control has been replaced.
Then a 171/174 code was given (checked the PCV elbows and line no cracks) Cleaned the MAFS. Replaced the PCV valve.
Cleaned the throttle.

Seems to work for a short amount of time then issue recurs. Cranking is always rough. If the idle is low on cranking and I try to give it any gas it kills the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the entire piece to check it because I wasn't sure. No cracks or anything though the front elbow was very "gooey"

UPDATE:

Found a broken vacuum connector tee and replaced it. Idle seems to be better but still having a cranking issue and the check engine light is back on with the same 171/174 codes. Going to replace the elbows just in case. Other than that looks like it may be my MAFS or O2 sensors. :(

suprisingly my issue was not the elbow everyone speaks of but instead was the vacuum hose that goes down on the left hand side from just behind the intake to the green capped shrader valve assembly on the left fender (look just forward of the fuse box) that dry rotted and once replaced my 171/174 woes disappeared.

Replaced the entire PCV hose and elbows with Ford part. Still having a cranking issue. Looked at the hose attached to the shrader valve it is a little worn but I couldn't find any holes or cracks...should I still consider replacing this?

UPDATE AGAIN:

When idling and even running the idle arm will sit at 0 unless I hit the dash above it then it works for a short time and nothing. I check every hose this thing has and cant find a leak or crack now.

Car is running but if at a stop light when I start to move it basically has no power to it takes it a good 20 secs to get actually moving then more to get up to speed. It is NOT idling out though.

Tripped the inertia switch because hey I've tried everything else and that seemed easy enough to find. Didn't do anything though.

So at this point what I'm guessing is I'm looking at a fuel issue(???).

Back