2001 Sprt Trac A/C Clutch Electrical Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sprt Trac A/C Clutch Electrical Issue

khaffn

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
2001 Ford Explorer Sprot Trac. A/C Problem think this is an electrical Issue.

I noticed the A/C was starting to blow warm air. I put gauges on the system and realized the Compressor Clutch was not Engaging (couldn't get a good reading on the guages). Anyhow, assumed I had a Bad Low PCM so I bought the $11.00 Aftermarket replacement and was able to test its continuity with puff of air from air compressor before I installed it. After low PCM was installed the clutch would still not engage. Was able to jump the A/C clutch through the pins on the 56B A/C Clutch relay and determine that the system was low on 134A. While relay was jumped I was able to charge the system to the recommended pressures and the system began to blow cold air (Sweet problem solved NOPE!). Took out the jumper and replaced the (56B realy # from Owners manual realy position unter the cover on the driverside panel under the hood) A/C Clutch relay. Clutch would still not engage (replaced the 56B relay $15.00). (BTW the original now replaced Low PCM was fine upon testing). Clutch will still not engage. Scracthing my head at this point. I can't find a full electrical schematic for the 2001 or I would start tracing back from the open 56B relay.

All fuess look and test OK for continuity. I have seen posts about the WOT (wide open throttle) relay. I can't seem to find this in either the owners manual or the Haynes manual. (where is it located?). Any ideas or where I can find a full schematic on the 2001 Sport Trac. Thanks

I have had the same issues with my Sport Trac. It started out blowing cold only out of the defrost vents. A buddy moved a vacuum hose and it would blow cold out the vents on max air only. Now it starts blowing cold and in the TX heat will stop blowing cold and start blowing hot. Sometimes it will come back but often it will not. It's like the compressor is not engaging. I feel I am in the same boat as you and I was about to start changing some of the smaller AC parts but seeing what you've done with no results I'm reluctant to start. Hopefully someone will see this and give us some insight before having to take to a shop.

Back