2001 V6 3.0L no compression after head gasket change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 V6 3.0L no compression after head gasket change

EricB123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mazda B4000
A friend gave me their truck after it's been sitting for a year. I did some inspection on it and it looked ok. It started right up so I shut it down immediately. Then I started inspecting the fluids and found the coolant had leaked into the oil and had been completely emulsified into a nice latte.

I drained all this out (an impressive 4 gallons so I suspect they kept adding water) and flushed it a bit and removed all the coolant. I ran it for a few seconds at a time just to flush some of the water out.

I pulled it all apart and found 3 cylinders were leaking badly into the coolant. I had a machine shop check and plane the heads and reseat the valves and stem seals. After thorough and careful cleaning of everything it all looked ok and went back together nicely. I followed the manual and did the 4 step torque method and torqued everything else back down.

However when I went to turn it over it seemed to just spin without resistance like the valves were stuck open. I put a compression gauge on all the cylinders and found they didn't even move the needle. Right now there's no coolant in it, because I wanted to take it one step at a time.

I'm not sure what could have gone wrong at this point. I did verify there's fuel getting there and spark, just no compression at all. Since this isn't an overhead cam, I'm not sure how the timing could have been disturbed. I've never seen this before and I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the rings are stuck to the pistons. Sometimes soaking with
light oils etc. might free them up...

The water with all the combustion products in solution with Al. pistons
and Fe rings causes blooming and your stuck rings.

Interesting. I just got my leak down tester so hopefully this weekend I can open it back up and take a good look at what's going on. Thanks for the idea.

Back