Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2001 XLT SOHC Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by rogi, July 5, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rogi

rogi New Member

City, State:
      Ithaca, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '2001 XLT
      Yesterday I completed reassembly of my SOHC after replacing the left head gasket. The battery was nearly dead, so I had to jump-it to get it to turn over. I don't seem to be getting any spark out of the ignition (can smell gas out exhaust pipe), but this was working fine before I pulled the engine apart.
      Before I test the igintion system, is there something more obvious I should be checking first?
      Rogi

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rogi

rogi New Member

City, State:
      Ithaca, NY
      '2001 XLT
      Further to my spark query- I charged the battery up to 100%, and wala, she started! Obviously the jump just wasn't delivering enough juice.
      Now I've got more questions:
      Loud noise seems to be coming from the intake area which I'm assuming could be poor injector seals (if not, what else?). I'm hoping this will go away with run time, but after three warm ups it has not.
      She still doesn't idle, and RPMs must be at least @ 1.8-2K or she sputters and stalls. Related to above? Any other ideas?
      Rogi

4. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      vacuum leak?

You may have a vacuum leak: Intake manifold vacuum lines

Are you sure the upper intake manifold is seated correctly on the lower manifold? It's a little tricky to get all the way down. Sometimes the gaskets pop out of their correct location. Did you remove the EGR tube O ring?

5. rogi

rogi New Member

City, State:
      Ithaca, NY
      '2001 XLT
      Yes, I'm pretty sure it's seated, but it was a pain in the rear, especially the two rear bolts! I did not remove the ERG O-ring, though it was the ERG tube alignment into the upperman that made seating it so tricky. I'll take another look see. Perhaps I should take the ERG tube off and put it back on again?
      Rogi

6. rogi

rogi New Member

City, State:
      Ithaca, NY
      '2001 XLT
      I should add that the noise in question does not seem to be a vacuum or sucking sound, but rather the opposite sound of compression escaping. Initially I thought it might be the exhaust manifold, but it is not from that area.