2002 4WD Dash Lights Blinking, etc. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4WD Dash Lights Blinking, etc.

The Ranger is a totally different system, my fathers 06 gave him trouble as well and the Ford dealer replace the shift motor I believe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention I replaced the module on my wife's 2002 Ex and everything has worked fine since.

I'm putting this solution here, as I have in one or two other threads. BEFORE you run out and buy a new 4x4CM, just TRY this first. It may work, it's simple, and it doesn't cost a penny.

I've had this problem too, thinking I had a BAD 4x4 CM, the one located in the glove box. I would DEFINITELY try the "BATTERY RESET" FIRST!! Clearly because I tried it and IT WORKED !! Here was my problem, obviously, no 4x4, on one of the worst snow days, tried engaging 4x4Hi to go up steep hill to my house. NO go. No nothing, no lights blinking, no clicking sounds, nothing. The next day, I tried troubleshooting the problem. I noticed when you first get turn the key, and all the dash lights come on, I had "4x4Lo" light up, but no "4x4Hi" dash light. Therefore, I thought I had a bad 4x4 CM. Was JUST ABOUT to order a new one from SilverState Ford in Nevada, when I decided to check here one more time for a CHEAPER solution. By the way, I also had problems with dead battery, which according to some, if you swap out battery incorrectly, it will "fry" your 4x4CM. That may or may not be true, but apparently if you do this battery reset procedure, it SHOULD bring your 4x4Hi back to life.

I did the battery reset. Just like others have posted. Remove the POS cable to your battery. Then, put key in ignition and turn. I did it BOTH ways, since I wasn't sure if you should just TURN and STOP just BEFORE you would "start" car, or if you should trun ALL THE WAY, as if you were going to start the car. Anyway, did it BOTH ways. Went back inside to warm up coffee and grab a piece of toast. Went back out after 5 mins, reconnected the POS cable to battery and then went to start car. BE ADVISED. At first, I didn't think it worked because the "4x4Hi" dash light didn't light up, just the "4x4Lo". However, when you actually go all the way and START the vehicle, I actually saw the "4x4Hi" dash light come one, and when I pushed the 4x4Hi button, I heard the clicking and voila, the "4x4Hi" dash light stayed on. So, I "guess" I have 4x4Hi now? LOL. We're supposed to get more snow in the next few days. Will let you know, but I'm pretty sure, from hearing the clicking both inside AND outside the vehicle, the 4x4 was engaging. Good Luck to all !

Hi, this is for Glacier and/or IZwack or anyonehere. I have a 96 xlt 4.0, 5spd manual, control trac. My 4wd has worked fine until today. Went for a ride up into the Rockies, not very cold and some slush. Flipped the dash switch to 4Auto and it stayed on for a while then both 4Auto and 4wd(lo) started blinking then would go off and come on and blink again a few minutes later. Even when I pulled over and switched it back into 2wd, they blinked . Pulled over again and sat with key off for 10 minutes. Stayed in 2wd back down to Denver. Got back to flat land and picked up the kids at school. Threw it in 4Auto and it worked fine. Any thoughts, solutions, recommendations????? Could it have been the altitude( I know, dumb question, ) , steep roads(again, I know dumb question, it is meant to work on uneven roads). Low fluids? dirty connections, they use that nasty mag chloride on the roads here. Any help would be very much appreciated. I am new to this site, this is my first EX and I love this vehicle and want to keep it running 100%. Thanks in advance.
divizio

I finally ordered the 4X4 CM from Silverstatefordparts for $186.40 total and installed it. IT WORKED! I was experiencing 3 blinks of the 4X4 high and 4X4 low dash lights every few minutes after startup of the car and on a rare occasion could press the 4X4 high button and get the 4X4 to work/engage. I really didn't think that the control module was the problem - BUT IT WAS! Good luck to all.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT, same exact issue. Went to Silverstatefordparts and cannot find a 4x4 control module listed any where. I searched it a hundred different ways! Does anyone have a part number for this? I even went to a NAPA store and they never heard of this part and couldnt pull it up on their computer. I know its there, I had my hands on it when i replaced my AC/Heater blower control.

ANy help is appreciated! I dont want to go through another winter with inconsistant 4wd!

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT, same exact issue. Went to Silverstatefordparts and cannot find a 4x4 control module listed any where. I searched it a hundred different ways! Does anyone have a part number for this? I even went to a NAPA store and they never heard of this part and couldnt pull it up on their computer. I know its there, I had my hands on it when i replaced my AC/Heater blower control.

ANy help is appreciated! I dont want to go through another winter with inconsistant 4wd!

No one here will be able to give you a part number for sure, as there were different build dates and options involved that made the 4x4CM have different part numbers. Silverstate ford actually sent the wrong one to my Dad but quickly corrected it once we sent it back. Best thing is to call SilverState ford with your VIN, and they'll send you the right one. I believe the guy there is 'Kelly', nice guy he'll take care of you.

There is only one part number available now all the old numbers have been superceded. It is best to get the number from your existing module. It is easy to access if you pull the glovebox down out of the way. With that number you can pull up the new number in the ford parts system.

Btw the price is just standard wholesale price I. Can get it locally and ship it if you pay the shipping

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Like Curtis said, you must provide your VIN regardless of where you purchase the module in order to get the correct one for your vehicle.

I got my module from Silver State Ford Parts. Here's what I did: I sent them a message from their website. Go to the Contact Us Page, fill out the form, Be sure to enter your VIN! Then in the comment section, tell them you need the 4x4 Control Module. They will contact you with the correct part to order and Bob's your uncle! Click here to go to the Contact Us Page.

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ExplorerForum saves me again. My 03 Explorer had the "10 blink syndrome" and would not go into 4WD. (Did go into low range with no 4WD interestedly enough). I checked the ground wire on the transfer case harness and sure enough it was corroded off and dangling. I soldered 6" of 14 ga and an eye connector to the end of the ground wire and bolted it to the servo motor bracket bolt and bingo, blinks gone + 4WD works. It took less time than driving to the dealer. This forum helps me keep this old buggy rolling at a time when I can't afford a new one or big repair bills. How can you thank folks enough for that?

Hmmm.... I swapped a manual transfer case into my x but still use the the dash switch to engage the axle disconnect. I ziptied my tc motor to the frame which worked great but now when im playin in the snow my 4wd lights go out and start blinking. Front axle stays connected so i don't worry about it. But if i can simply attach a ground to the shift motor ill be happy

4w light blinking

Well all I know on my 2004 Explorer is it did the same thing and Ford wanted to replace my cars computer. After reading this forum I found that it might be the ground wire. Sure enough it was (This was last year) and I have not had a bit of problems with it since. :salute:

2002 Explorer xls 4x4 4 door

Heres my deal replaced motor would not disengage. now 4x4 high flashing on start up and after stops. will not go into 4x4 low. I was thinking i may have hooked up wires wrong. Any buddy have diagram with color codeing.

Go figure after paying if off it breaks!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance this web fourm Rocks fixed my mirrors and locks and door ajar light all due to broken wires.

4x4 high

My problem was not exactly like yours but I have a 2004 and found it was the ground wire going to the transfer case inside the harness! Simple fix if it is that. Dealer will try and tell you it is the computer and you need a new one. So I do not know if that is your problem or not. MY 4x4high light stayed on all the time and I found it was a faulty ground wire.

So confussed

2002 explorer xls replaced transfer motor seems like still stuck in 4 wheel ran jumper from trans motor to frame checked with ohm meter had my brother go through 4x4 cycles and felt motor no vibration other then vehicle running. I do not hear clicking after taking out glove box fuses tested OK. is there a sticky here for list of diagnostics and so I can test every thing before I dump another 200 pretty strapped for cash just got back to work after 5 months off. Thanks

My 4x4 high light would flash 10 or so times about every two minutes on my 02 Explorer, I couldn't use 4x4 high but I could use 4x4 low. After reading this thread I checked for broken wires at the transfer case. I found one ground wire that had a broken and corroded terminal lug on the top side of the transfer case. I couldn't see the original ground point very well so I grounded it to a bracket at the lower side of the shift motor. 4x4 works great now. Thanks sgtdon, you rock bro!

A few years ago I had to replace the 4x4 Control Module, the original control modules didn't hold up too well to dead batteries and jump starting your vehicle. Something about electrical spikes frying the modules...

Thank you. This is what the forum is for to help each other and hopefully save time and money when you have a problem. ;)

If you check earlier post you will find that I was advised on this fix from the forum!!!!

I just swapped out my tranny out of an 04 and into my 02 and I am experiencing the same issue. I will check the ground it's possible with trying to unplug everything it may have broke off and didn't realize it.

Look real good. It is probably the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have to search back in the forum to find other fixes then. I am sure the answer is in the forum or some one can guide you towards a resolution.

Sorry, ask the forum, they will help.

Good luck.

Back