2002 4x4 problems | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

Got the module off the bracket, but can't get the two plugs out of it no matter how much I pull, prod, pinch or twist. Can you please tell me the trick to removing the plugs?
Thanks.
Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On one side of each connection is a little tab you have to push in before you can pull the connector free. Easiest thing to do is take a small flathead screw driver, push it in the tab, and wiggle it side to side until it separates the two connections. Just don't go too hard and break the plastic.

That worked! I also opened up the black box that houses the electronic circuit board first, and that gave me a better look at the plugs.
Thanks again.

I found that's the secret to undoing most of the clips on my Explorer. As long as you work it gently, it causes the least damage and least frustration.

That brings me to my next question. 2002 4.0L v6. I have the 4X4CM out and in my hands. Priced the new replacement on-line for $173.89 or the local junkyard for $50. Since the dashboard buttons stopped lighting up the dash, I assumed it is this module thats shot. At the same time, I lost traction control, and in the rain and snow, this truck slips and slides all over the place now. Does the 1L2Z-7E453-A control both 4 wheel drive and traction control? Reason I ask is the junk yard guy has a separate part and part number for a traction control module. Best as I can tell, I don't have that "AdvanceTrac" system as I have no separate on/off button for that, but remember if I was in 4X4 Auto, power would go to the left front or right front, if either of the rears slipped on ice or water. Don't think that's working anymore the way the truck is handling lately. That's why I need to know if the 4X4CM I took out is the culprit. P.S. ABS works fine.

Read all 9 pages of this post. I have a 2002, v6, XLT and and have no 4x4 lights whatsoever. Noticed during the last recent snowstorm that truck was sliding all over, couldn't even get up the driveway to get it in the garage. I ordered the modulator from Rockauto, P/N TM153 for $179. I checked fuses, all were good, did the disconnection reset of the battery and still no fix. I will post back and let you know how it goes when i get the modulator in a week.

Rocketman, you do not have advance track or traction control. Auto 4x4 is what makes your 4x4 engage if your rear tires slip, but not one side specifically. When your rear slips, both fronts are supposed to activate. If that is not happening, your 4x4 control module is more than likely to blame.

That's what I thought. Could wait another week to see if it solves Joslir's issues, which seem to be the same as mine. Hope you get some snow or ice up there to confirm it. Drop me a line, or post it here when you do.

Wondering does the "new" module1L2Z-7E453-A, come on any other years of explorer, or maybe mountaineer or sport trac, 03, 04, etc? Was gonna check a few junk yards here and see if any had the right one for my 02. Thanks all

Hey Rocketman, got the module today and installed it. After starting the engine I pressed the buttons on the 4x4 switch and VIOLA! I got lights! Like others said you will hear a click everytime you actuate the different selections. The real test is to get it out on the road and try it. Never thought I would hope for snow. Anyway by all indications it appears it should work without a problem. Thanks to all who posted your tips here, I saved some big bucks.

Thanks for the follow-up post. I'd sure love to know if you got some traction control back in the rain or snow, but I'm assuming its going to work. I'm just debating now whether to spend $75 for the used one with no warranty, or $179 with the 12mo/12K mile warranty. What's your take on that?

Thanks for the follow-up post. I'd sure love to know if you got some traction control back in the rain or snow, but I'm assuming its going to work. I'm just debating now whether to spend $75 for the used one with no warranty, or $179 with the 12mo/12K mile warranty. What's your take on that?

The 4x4 Control Module is VIN specific. Getting a used one at a junk yard is a crap shoot since they won't know if it is compatible with your Ex or not.

I have an 02 Merc Mountaineer that came with the BW 4410 which is a single speed t-case, the junk yard sold me a BW 4411 whiuch is a two speed. I need to know if it will work or if I should return it. I went to the Ford Dealership and they are a parts replacement store only. Maybe I should work there cause any idiot can replace parts!! The can't tell me what I need to make it work or what the difference is between the two. I'd like to know if anyone has made a conversion from awd to the selector 4X4, the t-case came with the motor attached.

is silver state ford parts no longer open? Ive tried calling many times to order a new control module and get voicemail. their website links dont seem to work either..anybody have another good reliable vendor for this part?

is silver state ford parts no longer open? Ive tried calling many times to order a new control module and get voicemail. their website links dont seem to work either..anybody have another good reliable vendor for this part?

I purchased mine fron Rockauto.com. They were the cheapest and they shipped the part fast.

Their website works for me: www.silverstatefordparts.com/

Remember, the 4x4 Control Module is VIN specific. You need to give your VIN to whoever you order it from to make sure you get the correct part.

Just replaced the module on my 02 XLT. The high range 4X4 is now working (YAY) though I am having difficulty with the low. The selector button flashes for several seconds without an indicator on the dashboard and the truck remains in the same drive mode.

any ideas guys? thanks

INB4 Neutral/Break

Have you put gear in neutral AND foot on brake?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you put gear in neutral AND foot on brake?

I have, did it just the way the owner's manual instructs. The indicator light on the button flashes for several seconds then remains off and the dash light doesn't engage in the least, save for the initial ignition. The flashing on the button is much like how it is described in the manual when its waiting for operator input.

In short, picking the low button in neutral with the break depressed yields the same result as picking it in any other driving condition.

thoughts?

Back