2002 Eddie Bauer MPG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer MPG

chaos58503

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, North Dakota( The Cold State!)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
They say an explorer my year gets 15mpg in city, I get maybe 12mpg. I did put some new yokohama geolander at's on, and went to a 255/70/r16 instead of standard 245/70/r16,s. Would that make that big of differance? or is it the fact that it is colder out then normal and I'm letting it run before I drive, or both?Please help figure this riddle out!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site, if you didn't have a/t tires before and just regular street tires I say you can chalk your loss of mileage up to the new tires ;)

but 3mpg's is alot for one size bigger tire

chaos58503 said:
They say an explorer my year gets 15mpg in city

This is what they "say" did you ever see if this was actually what you were getting before you replaced the tires?

it was at 14.5mpg before

If you didn't notice the drop until after you changed the tires than its gotta be the culprit, IMHO I don't think in your situation its anything mechanical thats causing the decrease. Did you have just a regural hwy/street tire before you went to the a/t???

During winter you also get worse gas milage because of the fuel. Also letting your car idle for a while does use gas. The tires do probably have the most effect though, but its probably a little bit of everything.

I'm running 265/70R16 on my 02 4x4 4-door and get 19-20 MPG on the highway

Back