2002 Explorer 4x4 not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4x4 not working

Tedmar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I just bought this 2002 Explorer XLT. So I noticed while driving it the 4x4 high light blinks 8 times every so many minutes. If I put it into 4x4 high I hear no noise to sound like it is engaging. On a flat gravel road if I hit the gas to make it spin the rear wheels spin in 4x4 not very long they seem to grab immediately after. Should I be able to hear the 4x4 engaging? Also why does my light blink randomly like that? And also in 4x4 high my back wheels should not spin by them selves correct sorry if this has been answered before I keep finding different answers but I want to get this fixed asap please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the 2002 is notorious for having the module go bad located behind the glove box. I'd start here then maybe someone more familiar with third gens can chime in.

Thank you yes I hope someone more familiar can help out I'm new to fords all together I love it so far besides this

Thank you yes I hope someone more familiar can help out I'm new to fords all together I love it so far besides this
Any luck? Just replaced my module with a used one from eBay, still not working but now if I hit the 4x4 high button at least the light in the instrument cluster lights up now, it didn't with the old one. Still no clicking from the module and nothing is engaging, I'm thinking this $70 module from eBay is also bad.... Or at least hoping all I need is another module. I'll try the new updated version thus time unless I decide it might be something else.

Was it "as is" or tested these things go bad so often I wouldn't trust a used untested unit with out a solid return warranty.

I knew I was taking a 50/50 shot with a used one, I'll check fuses again and just order a new updated one, I've seen them under 200 bucks...

Yeah mine is the same I get the lights to come on like it’s working. I drove for the first time through some mud and it seems like the front tires are spinning but not nearly as fast as the back ones it still kicks the rear end around

Yeah mine is the same I get the lights to come on like it’s working. I drove for the first time through some mud and it seems like the front tires are spinning but not nearly as fast as the back ones it still kicks the rear end around
Sounds similar, but I'm not getting any blinking of the 4x4 light, it did come on by itself yesterday and then went off, still not feeling any pull from the front. I think when the modules go bad they can go bad and act many different ways and I'm still guessing it's the module. I'll post what happens when I put the new one in.

Thank you let me know your results I haven’t had money with Christmas time to go get a new one I for sure need to get one before the snow starts.

Thank you let me know your results I haven’t had money with Christmas time to go get a new one I for sure need to get one before the snow starts.
I'm in the same position you are but hopefully within the next week or so. I'll let you know.

Finally got the first snow and 4x4 definitely not working. I don’t understand why the lights act like they are working you’d think it would do something to tell you what is wrong

Just ordered it, I'll have it in by Thursday.

Great to hear Doug i am starting to guess mine is the motor on the diff instead of the computer due to the computer acting fine with no obvious signs anything is wrong with it. These motors are also a known issue let me know what happens with yours.

Great to hear Doug i am starting to guess mine is the motor on the diff instead of the computer due to the computer acting fine with no obvious signs anything is wrong with it. These motors are also a known issue let me know what happens with yours.
You mean on the transfer case? All that does is change between 4 high and 4 low...

It also puts it into 4high from what I found

@Tedmar
Depends how you look at things. The TC motor shifts the gearing within the TC to LOW position, regardless of whether 4X4 HIGH button was depressed first, or not. IOW, going from 4X4 AUTO to 4X4 LOW, turns ON the Electronic Clutch, and turns ON the Shift Motor to move to LOW gear. In going back out of 4X4 LOW, you may depress either 4X4 AUTO, or 4X4 HIGH, and that is where the TC will wind up. imp

So the tc motor does nothing when going from 4 auto to 4 high? Then I’m really confused because I don’t understand what it could be everyone I see that had issues with the module had issues with the 4x4 lights in some way but I don’t they act normal but I get no noise when going to 4x4 high no clicking from the module and no sound of nubs locking but hitting 4x4 low I hear the module click and the motor making sound but that’s it the lights all come on normal and act normal

Let's narrow things down a little, can anyone verify that a good working module will definitely make that clicking noise when pressing the buttons? I get no click at all and I know the buttons are good.

Yeah that’s my main thing with getting a click one time on low but not when clicking high idk if that’s a sign of a bad module or not as far as I know maybe I just got a bad vacuum to my hubs but idk where to begin to check that if it’s definitely suppose to click on four high then I know I got a bad module

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah that’s my main thing with getting a click one time on low but not when clicking high idk if that’s a sign of a bad module or not as far as I know maybe I just got a bad vacuum to my hubs but idk where to begin to check that if it’s definitely suppose to click on four high then I know I got a bad module
I'm pretty sure a few years back when everything was working on mine I would hear a click whenever I hit any of the buttons. I'll know more in a few days.

Back