2002 Explorer 5R55W Trans Won't Go Into Any Gear, No Codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 5R55W Trans Won't Go Into Any Gear, No Codes

marfar

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, 4WD, 4.0L engine, with a 5R55W transmission. Recently, I drove it to a restaurant with no issues. However, when I came out of the restaurant, it would not go into any gear. It starts fine in both Park and Drive, but not in any other gear, so I guess I can rule out the neutral safety switch. I have an OBDII reader and have no codes or “Check Engine” light. I had it towed home and the next morning I tried it again and it worked normally. It worked fine for a few days and again, the same issue arose. I dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter, and looked for any debris, but found none. I reattached the pan and put in new transmission fluid. Upon completion, I started the car again and it ran normally. But again, this morning I tried it and it will not go into any gear. I wanted to see if codes where being generated by my car, so I pulled the fuse to my transmission and started it up. The “Check Engine” light came on and I had several error codes on my reader, so it is generating codes. I have checked the shift linkage but see no problems there. I am looking for any advise as to what may be causing my issue. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide.

@marfar Low fluid is not detectable directly by the PCM (computer), only indirectly by incorrect shaft speeds or solenoid operation. Check that.

Broken/damaged oil pump or drive ditto, no fluid pressure. Accessible only with removal of trans.

Check idling eng. fluid pressure at side of transmission case.

Clogged oil pick-up? Nah.

Transmission Range Sensor (TSS) on side of case: check for looseness/damage. Start in P, N indicates TSS likely not at fault, but still a possibility. Check cable and fittings which move it. Check movement of selector lever on column is moving TSS/ possible fault in steering column.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, 4WD, 4.0L engine, with a 5R55W transmission. Recently, I drove it to a restaurant with no issues. However, when I came out of the restaurant, it would not go into any gear. It starts fine in both Park and Drive, but not in any other gear, so I guess I can rule out the neutral safety switch. I have an OBDII reader and have no codes or “Check Engine” light. I had it towed home and the next morning I tried it again and it worked normally. It worked fine for a few days and again, the same issue arose. I dropped the transmission pan, changed the filter, and looked for any debris, but found none. I reattached the pan and put in new transmission fluid. Upon completion, I started the car again and it ran normally. But again, this morning I tried it and it will not go into any gear. I wanted to see if codes where being generated by my car, so I pulled the fuse to my transmission and started it up. The “Check Engine” light came on and I had several error codes on my reader, so it is generating codes. I have checked the shift linkage but see no problems there. I am looking for any advise as to what may be causing my issue. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide.
did this ever get solved? i'm having a similar problem
thanks!

Back