2002 Explorer is stuck in 4x4 low. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer is stuck in 4x4 low.

patdude

Reaction score
City, State
new york city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I just had my 2002 explorer transmission replaced a few days ago.
I just remembered I should try to see if 4x4 Hi and 4x4 Low still function.
When I pressed the 4x4 Hi button, there was nothing on the instrument panel.
When I pressed the 4x4 Lw button, nothing neither.

So, I took out the manual, and following the procedures because the last time
I used them was last winter in the snow. I think I only used 4x4 Low once.

I am almost certain that 4x4 hi is not working because I didnt hear anything when I press it and ran it. When I tried the 4x4 Low (press brake, and neutral), the LED on the 4x4 Low button blink and I could feel and hear the engagement. However, I dont see the 4x4 low on the instrument panel.

Now, I have no way to get out of 4x4 Low since pressing 4x4 hi or 4x4 low does not seem to get me out of Low.

I read the 4x4 doesnt work thread in this forum but am not sure if this has to do with the control module.

Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

I may not have been stuck in 4x4 low, and I might be in a panic mode at that time.
Anyway, I did disconnect the battery for a while, and thay may have got me out of Low. Either way, when I drove it the next day, it was not stuck in 4x4 Low.
I read the 4x4 doesn't work thread. I turned out I had to replace the 4x4 CM.

Thanks

I just had my 2002 explorer transmission replaced a few days ago.
I just remembered I should try to see if 4x4 Hi and 4x4 Low still function.
When I pressed the 4x4 Hi button, there was nothing on the instrument panel.
When I pressed the 4x4 Lw button, nothing neither.

So, I took out the manual, and following the procedures because the last time
I used them was last winter in the snow. I think I only used 4x4 Low once.

I am almost certain that 4x4 hi is not working because I didnt hear anything when I press it and ran it. When I tried the 4x4 Low (press brake, and neutral), the LED on the 4x4 Low button blink and I could feel and hear the engagement. However, I dont see the 4x4 low on the instrument panel.

Now, I have no way to get out of 4x4 Low since pressing 4x4 hi or 4x4 low does not seem to get me out of Low.

I read the 4x4 doesnt work thread in this forum but am not sure if this has to do with the control module.

Can anyone help?
Replace the 4x4 module located behind the glove box. FYI remove the module and bracket together by removing one screw located nearest to glove box on bracket.

Lol. He already replaced it. ..............8 years ago. ;)

I figured as much. I was adding my experience not necessarily for your benefit but for everyone. Thanks for the thread. it helped save me a lot of money!

Back