2002 explorer p0741 code. 5r55w transmission problems. OD light flashing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer p0741 code. 5r55w transmission problems. OD light flashing.

Cowabunga

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Auto v6 2x4
I bought a used 2002 explorer with a 6 cyl automatic front wheel drive. Transmission is a 5r55w transmission. Shortly after, the OD light started flashing. I didn't notice any shifting problems so I kept on driving it. I did finally take it to o'reillys to have the codes read. It was the p0741 code. (Torque converter clutch selonoid circuit performance or stuck off)
I did nothing except search forums because I didn't have the $ to take it to a shop and it wasn't acting up. It seemed to begin flashing after I hit 45 mph and then stayed flashing when driving after that.
Anyway, my kid was out driving and was at a stoplight and all of a sudden she had no torque. No power to move in drive. She panicked and wanted to get out of the intersection and was able to get it in reverse and then second to move into a parking lot. It really wouldn't move after she parked it. Just out of the blue it quit. Called the tow truck and the guy got it on his flatbed in 2nd gear and he used 2nd to put it in my driveway. The other gears didn't seem to work. After that none of the gears worked. I thought all the gears were dead until I tested it in my driveway recently and 1st gear worked but the others didn't!
It's been sitting in my driveway for about 6 Mos. Of course the standard suggestion is to get a rebuilt transmission. I don't have that kind of money so I have been searching for possible answers to point me to other possible transmission issues that may be an easier and less expensive fix. In doing so, many posts were people saying that even after having a rebuild, their OD light continued to flash and the problem was still there, and that's awful! Or other threads that fizzled out with no solutions to them.

I have found that servo bores were a common problem but many people discovered that issue while their vehicle were still driveable.
Or the valve body might be dirty. Or something broke inside of it. I don't know what the mechanic can do. I don't know if any bands are broken.
The thing is, that a lot people solve the issue before their transmission gives out.
I had a mechanic come over and check the transmission fluid and he said it had fluid in it. He just opened the cap and some drained out. That was how he could tell. But that doesn't tell how much is in there. Or if there are flakes, etc. Another mechanic came over and said it might be the transmission clutch, but said it was only a 50/50 chance that it was the issue.

I am so frustrated. I can't afford to have it towed to a repair shop and I don't really want to start throwing parts at it unless it is more on the likely side that it was the issue.
The mechanic that I use works on cars at his house. His is good at other stuff but not experienced in transmissions. I would need to be the one who dictates what I would want to try in this matter.
The thing that is weird to me is that I didn't notice any shifting issues other than if it was cold in the morning, it would have a hard time shifting out of first to 2nd. Otherwise it was good.
That's all I can think of.

Please keep in mind that I am really poor and if I could get a better vehicle, I would. I am stuck without a car and can't risk the big $ to throw at a vehicle on a gamble.

Where would someone start to tackle this?
Any ideas would be very helpful to me. I am at wits end.

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to our Transmission subforum where the right folks should see it.

Back