2002 Explorer running hot when idling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer running hot when idling

1992explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lantana, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My Explorer is running hot when I'm idle. Is this just a simple case of I need to add coolant? I find it odd that it goes back down to the normal range when driving.

BTW, would i need to green coolant or the orange. They asked me that question at Advance. It is a V6 4.0 2WD.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer is running hot when I'm idle. Is this just a simple case of I need to add coolant? Probably not. I find it odd that it goes back down to the normal range when driving. When the vehicle is moving forward, AIR is forced through the radiator, thereby cooling the engine. When the vehicle is standing with engine idling, the COOLING FAN provides airflow needed to prevent overheating.

It is likely the FAN is the culprit here, or more correctly, the FAN CLUTCH, which drives the fan blade when it "feels" hot air coming in through the radiator.

With the engine hot and idling, at operating temperature, open the hood, and place your hand above and slightly behind the top of the fan shroud. You should feel a distinct blast of hot air, which indicates the fan is drawing air through the radiator. If there is NO obvious heat coming out, the fan clutch is not operating to drive the fan. NOTE!! Do NOT GET YOUR HAND CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE FAN BLADE TO BE INJURED BY IT!

Replace the fan clutch.

BTW, would i need to green coolant or the orange. They asked me that question at Advance. It is a V6 4.0 2WD. Use coolant approved by Ford for your engine. This info is in your Owners Manual. imp

thanks

thanks for the info. That makes sense. I'm gonna check that out. Tell me this: am i at risk by still driving for a few days until i get it fixed?

thanks for the info. That makes sense. I'm gonna check that out. Tell me this: am i at risk by still driving for a few days until i get it fixed?

all overheating is a risk driving a few days.

Driving without forced cooling is risky, especially in FL! As Wask says, not a good idea.

If ya gotta drive it, watch temp. gauge closely, "time" your stops carefully, like red lights, avoid stopping motion of the vehicle as much as possible. If you see the need to idle engine more than a short time (> a minute), shut it off, Keep the vehicle moving through the air, drive it lightly, don't make engine get any hotter than necessary. Wanna go a step further before fixing it, yank out the thermostat (grasping at straws now). imp

2002 Explorer

If you do feel a blast of hot air what does this mean ? what is wrong ? and what do I need to change or fix ?

There is no water leaking from underneath either. How do you check the water
level ? I don't even see a radiator cap ?

If you do feel a blast of hot air what does this mean ? what is wrong ? and what do I need to change or fix ?

There is no water leaking from underneath either. How do you check the water
level ? I don't even see a radiator cap ?

Blast of hot air, WHERE?

3rd. Gen. Explorers use a pressurized "overflow tank", you can see the liquid level through it from the outside, it's semi-transparent. There is an indicator line showing the correct coolant level. As the coolant expands and contracts in volume within the cooling system, the level in the "catch" tank rises and falls. The hose connecting the tank to the radiator is always under the same pressure as the inside of the radiator. Coolant may be added to the system directly into the tank. imp

Blast of hot air, WHERE?

3rd. Gen. Explorers use a pressurized "overflow tank", you can see the liquid level through it from the outside, it's semi-transparent. There is an indicator line showing the correct coolant level. As the coolant expands and contracts in volume within the cooling system, the level in the "catch" tank rises and falls. The hose connecting the tank to the radiator is always under the same pressure as the inside of the radiator. Coolant may be added to the system directly into the tank. imp

Here is what exactly happens when driving:
While driving to work the explorer started to run very hot even the Red check engine light came on, the temp gauge went all the way up and I almost pulled over..

It is also idling high, and when slowing down, it jumps like driving a power glide trans.

Could this just be the Thermostat ? again there is no water leaking anywhere.
Actually I've never even checked the water level. Although my Explorer is maintained by the dealer. They do check the water level correct ? I'll check the water level tonight.

I really appreciate all the help on this site thanks for all the advise you people are great !!!

Joe

Here is what exactly happens when driving:
Could this just be the Thermostat ? ....

Yes. Thermostats can be finicky things, sometimes. An itermittently "sticking" thermostat can cause sudden overheating, which may correct itself, if the 'stat "opens" again soon enough.

The fan clutch is another thing to check. imp

Back