2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE!

yeah check continuity and dc resistance.

A blown coil can sometimes short out and fry the amp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I checked the ohms on both voice coils and each is around 1.6-1.7, which tells me both are fine, and also explains why setting the gain using a multimeter was bad news. That tells me I was giving quite a bit more power than I should have been. Hope the NINe.1 is okay. But how can I tell which coil is going bad if both still work.

I tried some more songs today and there is a terible grinding noise at low levels. One is on the way out.

Also I'm a little worried about running it on one. I swear I read somewhere that that is bad for the sub. I would like to use the sub for a while.

Also, if I happen to get another 13, the NINe.1 can push 1200 at 1 ohm, would that be nice and safe for 2 DVC4 13Ov.2's? I'm very tempted. That way I won't overpower just one again, I'll give a good amount to each.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with running one coil on a multi coil sub.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with running one coil on a multi coil sub.

Oh, awesome. Now I just have to wait till that voice coil goes out. Is there any way to tell which one is going bad? I tried playing the sub with them hooked up, but even with only one hooked up it still makes the noise for both coils.

And on top of that I just remembered something. one day a while ago I was listening to some music quieter than usual and all of a sudden the sub started playing relatively loudly and sounded like interference of some kind. Any idea what this is from. My RCA's are on the oppo side of the power.

ground loops...I've had that happen once. Was loud as hell. Not sure where it came from.

Damn ground loop. Oh well, it only happened like once.

New question. The 13 will be here on thursday, making a box for it soon. But for the high pass im going to go for about 70 on this one. It will blend better with the fronts. The 19 over ruled everything in the front so I couldn't really tell where it blended. But on the low pass, does it need to be set on a sealed enclosure? I thought low pass was to protect a ported sub. Am I right on this? I will be going with a 1 cubic foot sealed for the 13, I like my trunk space.

subsonic is to help prevent unloading...that can be turned all the way down for sealed enclosures.

Back