2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE!

I will do the big three and a new battery is needed soon anyways. What kind of battery do you recommend. I don't have much money left after buying all this stuff and I was hoping it would work without all the electrical upgrades.

The amp won't suck 1200watts all the time will it? If I keep the volume nice and low for a week or two while I get my funds back up, nothing should crap out on me right? Also, any good articles on how to break a sub in? Would like to do it right.

Another important question. Should the sub be facing the trunk or straight up? I presume point backwards.

For best sound quality, face the rear. For the best SPLll, sub up, port rear seems to be the norm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I ordered from Online Car Stereo and eD on Monday night, and either has yet to even go past the processing stage. Is this the norm?

I was hoping for Crutchfield type service, which shipped about an hour or two after I made the order around 7 at night.

eD is very busy catching up with orders...they are a small company and have a lot of stuff to ship out.

Don't worry though. It shouldn't take long though don't worry.

I'll work on your sub up port back plan tonight...what were your max dimensions again??

eD is very busy catching up with orders...they are a small company and have a lot of stuff to ship out.

Don't worry though. It shouldn't take long though don't worry.

I'll work on your sub up port back plan tonight...what were your max dimensions again??

Alright cool. Was hoping it would be here by Monday though, have school off for Pres Day and hoping to have a good day for install.

Well, I have an 02 Explorer with a third row seat that I plan on taking out. So I have a lot of room. Just needs to fit inside the wheel wells. Do you need those dimensions?

yeah I need your width, depth, and height

yeah I need your width, depth, and height

Actually I have been thinking about it and I don't really have the time or skills to build a ported box, so I think I am going to go with a sealed box, the same that is on the eD website. It gives the dimensions on the site, 2.5cubic feet. Can't really go wrong with a sealed box, think it will be better for me. I may hit you up at a later date in the chance I want to step it up a bit.

Actually I have been thinking about it and I don't really have the time or skills to build a ported box, so I think I am going to go with a sealed box, the same that is on the eD website. It gives the dimensions on the site, 2.5cubic feet. Can't really go wrong with a sealed box, think it will be better for me. I may hit you up at a later date in the chance I want to step it up a bit.

2.5 cubic feet sealed is VERY SMALL for this sub.

I put mine in a 2.5 cu ft sealed box the first time I installed it. The low end is lacking a lot in this enclosure. I would rather suggest at least a 4 cubic feet sealed enclosure if you want some decent low end extension.

This sub is virtually impossible to bottom out. I put 1200 watts to it free air and it didn't even get close.

2.5 cubic feet sealed is VERY SMALL for this sub.

I put mine in a 2.5 cu ft sealed box the first time I installed it. The low end is lacking a lot in this enclosure. I would rather suggest at least a 4 cubic feet sealed enclosure if you want some decent low end extension.

This sub is virtually impossible to bottom out. I put 1200 watts to it free air and it didn't even get close.

Okay, I will go to at least 4 cubes. Have you measured how loud the 19 will go?

So I have no clipping worries or other destruction worries with a NINe.1 and a 19Ov.2? Sounds good.

Also, I have a question. The head unit has just one RCA pre-out for the sub, and the amp has one RCA input. I bought a Double RCA cable, is it okay to just use one side or should I get a proper cable or a 2 to 1 converter thingamabob.

What is a "double rca cable"???

Okay, I will go to at least 4 cubes. Have you measured how loud the 19 will go?

So I have no clipping worries or other destruction worries with a NINe.1 and a 19Ov.2? Sounds good.

Also, I have a question. The head unit has just one RCA pre-out for the sub, and the amp has one RCA input. I bought a Double RCA cable, is it okay to just use one side or should I get a proper cable or a 2 to 1 converter thingamabob.

That is fine, and just let the second cable dangle. Consider it already ran if you ever decide to do a center channel or something.

That is fine, and just let the second cable dangle. Consider it already ran if you ever decide to do a center channel or something.

Alright, I figured that. And yea I eventually plan to use my small amp to run two Infinity speakers, so that will work out well. Should I run them on the opposite side of the power cables then?

Yeah run the signal opposite side of power.

I haven't metered my 19Ov.2 yet. There is only one shop near me that has a meter and it hasn't been calibrated in years. The 19Ov.2 can get pretty loud though. Keep in mind this subwoofer is more of a sound quality sub that can get loud. I like it cuz it sounds good too. In 4 cu ft you should be happy with it.

eD stuff shipped today. Says it will be here the 16th, but I don't think they deliver on Saturdays. And Monday is a holiday so I am looking forward to Tuesday. Online Car Stereo still hasn't shipped the wiring kit. Might give them a call tomorrow if it still hasn't shipped.

eD stuff is definitely getting here Tuesday now. No hopes for tomorrow. Wiring kit still has yet to ship. Too late for a phone call so I sent an e-mail. Hopefully I get a response this weekend.

Don't worry...I've order from OnlineCarStereo before...package came in perfect condition. They are located in Cali and I got mine pretty quick.

I was re-reading your earlier post when you said you don't have the time or skills to build a ported box.

Building a ported box is just as easy as building a sealed box except there are more boards to glue and screw/clamp.

just a note on onlinecarstero.com - when I ordered from them it took almost 2 weeks to get my item. I probably won't order from them again.

On the flip side, I made an order from hifisoundconnection.com (around midnight one night). They shipped them the next day, I had them the day after (they are in Springfield MO, so 1 day via UPS to St Louis here).

Crutchfield is awesome for shipping, but still takes about 2-3 days to get to St Louis (sometimes being in the middle of the US sucks for shipping! Everyone is from CA or NY - or somewhere close to that).

As for the ported box, when Nam gives you the sheet for it its quite simple to put it together. I just did one yesterday (thanks Nam!!). We took our time doing it and made sure everything lined up correctly.

So the 12 gauge wire came today from eD. It is speaker wire, so it has two wires in it. Question: Is there a diagram on how I hook up the wire from amp to subs? I'm a little confused on how to do it. Do i strip it on both sides, and for + side screw both to the + for amp, and wire one to one side and one to other, and then for -, do the same? I'm talking about DVC and 1 ohm setup. Hopefully i got that through in plain english.

1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back