2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sound System: NEED ADVICE!

Heres a question not related to my sound system but a friends. He has this amp:
http://www.alphacaraudio.co.uk/View...rod_name=Phoenix+Gold+R15.0.1+Class+&Search=Y

He has this sub:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2133_Kicker+04S12L74.html

How should he wire it? It is dual 4 ohm voice coils and handles 750 max RMS power. The sub puts out 750 at 4 ohm but it's not possible to do 4 ohm. 2 ohm is 1500 watt which is way overpowering the sub. Any suggestions?

The sub can handle that amp fine...wire the sub coils in parallel to the amp.

Just don't crank the gain and you will be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, got my friends box built. Mounted amp on the box. Have some questions about my project though. Looking for a ground. Have a whole bunch of bolts from the rear seat we took out. Was thinking the best would be the one where the seat belt attached. Seemed to be the beefiest. Will use a grinder to scrape away paint. Is this a good spot? Or is there a more recommended one?

Here is a picture of my friends project. We were a little bad at carpeting, but it turned out better than we thought. My max pictures are up, will delete these later to put up pics of my setup.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 209

I never use seat bolts...usually high resistance. Find a spot you can access from underneath the vehicle...sand away all paint....drill a hole and use a 3/8" bolt, washers, and locking nut for best ground.

Either that or drill a hole and ground to the actual frame.

So we wired up my friends sub and want to make sure it is hooked up correctly. We want parallel connection. We wired each of the + VC on the sub to the + on the amp, and the same for the negatives. Is this correct? Picture provided. Also, I got the eD stuff in the mail. The sub box had a gigantic hole in it but the sub is fine. Car stereo has still not shipped the wiring kit order so I think I may cancel and order from Sonic electronix or other place soon.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3091/picture039fi8.jpg

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4158/picture035ja9.jpg

yup thats right for the wiring...doesn't matter what + or - terminals you use.

I don't know why onlincarstereo is taking so long

yup thats right for the wiring...doesn't matter what + or - terminals you use.

I don't know why onlincarstereo is taking so long

Okay, I will caulk up the hole then tonight and fasten the sub down tomorrow and give it to my friend. We ran the RCA cable today and as soon as he gets the wiring kit we will do that. He ordered from OCS too. I called their customer support but was on hold for half an hour. I wish I could cancel an order online. Sonic Electronix matched the price and it says ti will ship next day.

Cancelled the Online Car stereo order. Was on backorder for 2-3 more weeks. Ordered it off of Sonic. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the day.

Here are some questions about this amp. Where should all these fancy little knobby things be set at. The eD book doesn't really say a whole lot about them. Any specific place I should set them for the ported box aznboi? Also, I will only use the A input for the sub? And finally. There is no bridging require for the speaker wires? I just hook the sub up to the first set of speaker ports on the left?

The settings really depend on the source unit. The bass boost should be set to zero or off...not needed.

Phase keep at 0* for now.

There is are no channels to bridge...just two sets of terminals for easier wiring of multiple drivers....the outputs are paralleled internally

I just want to thank everyone for helping me with this. Got the box started and willo be finishing tomorrow probably. Need to get carpet tomorrow also. I have another quest now.

Speakers.

First I want to see though if the NINe.1 causes my lights to dim, and if I can push the electrical system further. I have a blaupunkt that puts out 80x2 at 2 ohm. Any recommendations? I need something that I can hear over the 19Ov.2.

I just want to thank everyone for helping me with this. Got the box started and willo be finishing tomorrow probably. Need to get carpet tomorrow also. I have another quest now.

Speakers.

First I want to see though if the NINe.1 causes my lights to dim, and if I can push the electrical system further. I have a blaupunkt that puts out 80x2 at 2 ohm. Any recommendations? I need something that I can hear over the 19Ov.2.

i got a pretty good deal off ebay on a royal red 1.5 fared capacitor, it was like 30 shipped. the headlights dont dim for normal play, but when i crank the bass and let er' slap...theres still some dimming.... thats at about 900 watts though.. :D

i got a pretty good deal off ebay on a royal red 1.5 fared capacitor, it was like 30 shipped. the headlights dont dim for normal play, but when i crank the bass and let er' slap...theres still some dimming.... thats at about 900 watts though.. :D

Yea, thats from a 97 Mountaineer. Hopefully the alternator in mine is a little better. I will do the big three once I get a few more paychecks. If that doesn't do the job, I may get a capacitor or just order a new HO alternator.

Yea, thats from a 97 Mountaineer. Hopefully the alternator in mine is a little better. I will do the big three once I get a few more paychecks. If that doesn't do the job, I may get a capacitor or just order a new HO alternator.

thats very true it is older, but as cheap as a cap is... why pass it up... i would get am optima yellow top big three etc, but thats just not in a 17 year-olds budget right now ;) :D

thats very true it is older, but as cheap as a cap is... why pass it up... i would get am optima yellow top big three etc, but thats just not in a 17 year-olds budget right now ;) :D

Should've saved the money you spent on the cap and upgraded some grounds instead. I will repeat

Caps are absolutely worthless to any "normal" user. I think I will do an entire writeup as to the science behind this and submit for a sticky, so keep an eye out this weekend.

Should've saved the money you spent on the cap and upgraded some grounds instead. I will repeat

Caps are absolutely worthless to any "normal" user. I think I will do an entire writeup as to the science behind this and submit for a sticky, so keep an eye out this weekend.

Yea thats why I said may get a cap. I won't now. Can you include the places in order that should be upgraded concerning grounds? A list to say:

1: Alternator to Battery
2: Alternator Ground
3: Etc...

That would be awesome.

Cut out all the pieces for the box. It's gunna be nice. Had just enough wood out of one piece. Will be building tomorrow. Have lots of school work this week, it sucks. Sonic order hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5039/picture083bd1.jpg

Oh yea, aznboi, you can see those nice instruction you made out printed out...There was one little error but I caught it and corrected it. Other than that they rock.

yea i would love to have known that back when... but how much would all that cost.. i mean 30 bucks for a 1.5 fared at the time was pretty reasonable.. do you have prices for the big three and other cables?

Cut out all the pieces for the box. It's gunna be nice. Had just enough wood out of one piece. Will be building tomorrow. Have lots of school work this week, it sucks. Sonic order hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/5039/picture083bd1.jpg

This type of work is not good for building enclosures...I would have atleasted used particle board...If I had known you were going to use chip board/osb I would have incorporated more bracing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i would love to have known that back when... but how much would all that cost.. i mean 30 bucks for a 1.5 fared at the time was pretty reasonable.. do you have prices for the big three and other cables?

Capacitors are useless unless you have an upgraded alternator and batteries or if you have a very small system.

Prices for the big three??

All you need is some wire and ring terminals

Back