Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2002 Explorer Temp Gauge Misbehaving

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by sslinn, November 20, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. sslinn

sslinn New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 Explorer XLT
    Hi,

I have a 6 cylinder 2002 Explorer XLT and in the last couple of months the temperature gauge has risen to the point where the check engine light comes on. It normally only happens for a few second and returns to normal.

My assumption is that this would be the thermostat. Looking for other opinions.

If I were to change the thermostat would I have to replace either the upper or lower housings? There are not leaks at all. Not very mechanical, but when researching online it looks as though I should be able to replace it myself.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shayne

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sslinn

sslinn New Member

2015 Explorer XLT
    Any help guys?

This is still happening. The temp gauge goes up in increments and makes it to the top after about 30 seconds and the check gauge light comes on. After about 10 seconds it returns to normal. Happens any time I have been driving more than 20 minutes and only happens once per trip.

Is the thermostat sticking? Easy to replace?

4. Rickademus

Rickademus Elite Explorer

City, State:
    English guy from London
    1995 Audi A6, 05 Explorer
    How long have you had the truck ? When was thermostat housing replaced last because they are known to leak from time to time? And they come new with a thermostat.
    To change only the thermostat is very easy on the V6.

Did it over heat when you gave it some gas? Does it tend to be fine on Tick Over?

5. sslinn

sslinn New Member

2015 Explorer XLT
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am the original owner.

The housing has never been replaced and there are no leaks at all. It is all very clean down there.

It hasn't actually over heated, just goes to to of the gauge for about 10 seconds and then returns to normal.

Anything I have to be cautious of when replacing it? Do I have to replace the seal as well?

Not sure what "Tick Over" is.

Thanks in advance for your help.

6. Rickademus

Rickademus Elite Explorer

City, State:
    English guy from London
    1995 Audi A6, 05 Explorer
    Tick Over it means idling.
    Drain the coolant out the radiator its really easy on the Explorer probably one of the easiest vehicles to do it on because you have a lot of room and you can get different size containers underneath. Replace the thermostat top off with new coolant.

7. sslinn

sslinn New Member

2015 Explorer XLT
    Thanks for your help. I can't believe how relatively easy and quick it was to replace.

Spark plugs are next! :)