2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability

JCUZ and RB have the skills... I'm just hacking at mine, but it's aall goood! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

B2 v G3

Disagree about what? BroncoII VS 3rd gen or disagree about which gen is most capable.

Stock G3 will smoke a Stock B2 any day of the week under any circumstance.

Riiiiight, what are you smoking and where can I get some?
B2 is FAR more maneuverable, has at least equal ground clearance and a shorter wheelbase, please hang up and try again.

Nope, sorry... G3. B2 was a K-car type SUV... It's only something interesting during and after mods. Otherwise, it was built for what??

OK enough is enough, the main offroad disadvantage of a gen III over a gen II is the RIS. It has been widely discussed and generally accepted in the offroad community, independent suspension decreases effective clearance because when the suspension compresses on one wheel the vehicle moves closer to the ground. This discussion has been covered on IFS verses solid front axles.

The other problem that a Gen III has is that the anti roll bars serverly limit suspension articulation. Unhooking the bars will solve the problem. I believe if you look up the factory secifications we will find that the Gen II has more suspension travel than the Gen III.

Any SUV is a trade off of pavement verses dirt. The most important factor in off roading is the driver. I have not offroaded my Gen III very much because it is not paid for and still has stock P rated tires, and I have a modified Gen I for off roading. So I am not goint to bash the ability of the Gen III. It is very comfortable and drivable on the road. I enjoy hearing from the Gen III owners who do offroad and modify, because one day in the near future it will be paid for and will have LT tiresand it will see more dirt, sand and rocks.

Nope, sorry... G3. B2 was a K-car type SUV... It's only something interesting during and after mods. Otherwise, it was built for what??

a K car type suv? the bronco II was built directly off of the ranger, a truck. ever since the bronco II was replaced by the explorers the vehicles have become more car like and less capable off road. oh man, i dont know what to say, blasphmey! if it wasnt for the bronco we wouldnt have explorers! lol I'll let someone else elaborate on this, im off to work.

Youngsters, haha :) I'm 41... You guys do more with your vehicles than I ever will. You also know more about how they function. My son is 18 and handles his Sport and my XLT like they have always been his... Viva la juventud! Your youth makes your opinions more valuable than someone who bought the vehicle ONLY to carry kids, groceries and hardware supplies. IMO.

I completly agree, am 47, teach aviation maintenance and learn something new from my students all the time, they are high school students, age dont matter.

Doesn't it make you pleased to see young(er) people with so much knowledge? I'm very grateful for the information and opinions provided - I would still be watching tv instead of learning about vehicles if it were not for all of the info here - and I think there is a poll here that shows most members are under 25. That's amazing to me! :)

Doesn't it make you pleased to see young(er) people with so much knowledge? I'm very grateful for the information and opinions provided - I would still be watching tv instead of learning about vehicles if it were not for all of the info here - and I think there is a poll here that shows most members are under 25. That's amazing to me! :)

I'll be 25 in a few short weeks. When people my age modify vehicles, it is impressive, especially when they are paying for it themselves...THAT IS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF...What is even more impressive to me is when they have the knowledge and conceptual understanding to either do it themselves or know why they are doing it other then "well I thought it would look cool" or "Joe did it first". I'm not saying the the looking cool factor or somebody did it first is bad, but one must understand what and why first.

Having been part of the "ricer" world previously, I learned it all myself and did it myself. But there were a lot of people who were bad off (lost all bottom end from exhaust too big, water in their intake tubes and manifold from CAI) because they didn't understand any of it.

If you think about it, thanks to the internet and technology us youngsters have had more knowledge available at a younger age. It's a curve; we may know the same as you, but you have probably known the information LONGER then us.

How did we get onto ricers and knowledge?

The Gen3 is an awesome platform. Just as modifiable as previous gens, just not as easy.;)

Ha! :) That's what drives the modification market, creative young people... knowledge and ricers are part of the territory ;)

Gen3 is more difficult to modify than a Rav4 or a Pinto. Ford didn't want this vehicle altered, but it's being done, so they need to get back to business and build a new Bronco...

i wonder what a new gen BRONCO would look like ??????? would it have the same tough look or would it just look like a jacked up 2 door FORD FLEX ???

eeeewwwwwhhh !!!! that would look terrible !!! lol

97awdx

" The Gen3 is an awesome platform. Just as modifiable as previous gens, just not as easy "

very nicely put BTW !!!:thumbsup:

i wonder what a new gen BRONCO would look like ??????? would it have the same tough look or would it just look like a jacked up 2 door FORD FLEX ???

eeeewwwwwhhh !!!! that would look terrible !!! lol

heres the concept bronco they are supposed to be making into production for 2009, not sure whats up with the progress, but i might have to check it out!

So a stock IRS, IFS Gen3 will smoke a stock shorter wheelbase TTB, solid axle B2. Riiiight! :rolleyes:

ford should introduce a new bronco based on the F150 platform. That would be amazing :D

ford should introduce a new bronco based on the F150 platform. That would be amazing :D

It going to be based on the new F-100 (new Ranger) platform.

hopefully its not exactly like the prototype shown above. great features, just a little overboard. i think vehicles should have bumpers again. i miss big bulky steel or chrome bumpers. nowadays everything is a bumper cover over a generic bumper support

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn skippy!

So a stock IRS, IFS Gen3 will smoke a stock shorter wheelbase TTB, solid axle B2. Riiiight! :rolleyes:

Straight stock, side by side from San Francisco to Reno in the dead of Winter... I'll call AAA fo' ya! Oh, and :rolleyes::rolleyes: back atcha! :D

Back