2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer vs 2000 explorer off-road ability

From my experience so far with my 2005, the IRS is limiting off road. In stock form, you need to watch your clearance, especially through ruts. I bought an explorer because the price was right and I wanted something that was usable on the street (90-95% of my driving), light snow, and on fire roads in the State Forest.

ya bro... dont under-estimate 3rd gens !!! - it really just depends on what your needs are for the truck... i couldnt ask anymore from my 3rd gen, its a champ !!!!!

Danny
i agree, exceptional for pretty rugged trail rides and the short wheelbase is great for climbing. just get tires upgraded and there ready for alot.

the 02+ explorers are larger than the 91-01s and simply put were not built with offroading in mind. neadless to say, i dont think any 4wds since the late 80s early 90s were built with trail capability in mind other than jeep wranglers. i do have to agree though that a 91-94 does seem to be more trail ready from the factory and parts are cheaper for lifts, etc.. what ever happened to that prototype bronco that Ford had out a few years back?

If you want an idea how Ford is thinking these days, you should read the article on the internet about why the ranger is being discontinued and not being replaced in North America. They basically state that the only people who buy a ranger are those who want a cheap vehicle that is good on fuel, and that anybody who needs a capable truck would buy an F-series... which is why that 3.7L V6 with the hair-dryers on it (ecoboost) is offered. They actually state that they want to steer the ranger crowd towards the Ford Fiesta because people apparently don't buy the ranger for its truck ability.

Ummm... Ground clearance? Ladder frame? Rear drive? 4wd? A box to haul filthy car parts, household trash, etc...? Towing ability? I know the Ex doesn't have a box, but need I go on?

This is likely why we haven't seen hide nor hair of the new Bronco. Their heads are so far up their @$$e$ these days regarding what we want. I am true-blue through and through, but I have never felt so let down by this company in my life. It makes me shake my head.

Sorry for the venting session... but I think it was deserved. I also think I am not the only one here who would agree. I miss my old '92 4wd Ex! In stock factory form it was very capable on the trails.

Brutus93

Back