• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer windows not working

not8taxi

Reaction score
City, State
queens, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
whats up everyone...as of today i went into my ex and i had no power to either window...from the drivers side switch or the rest of the switches on each door...i was looking for a fuse that maybe blew out but didnt find anything...if anyone has any info that would def be very helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats up everyone...as of today i went into my ex and i had no power to either window...from the drivers side switch or the rest of the switches on each door...i was looking for a fuse that maybe blew out but didnt find anything...if anyone has any info that would def be very helpful

Power to the 3 passenger window switches runs through the master (drivers) switch. So if you lose power to the master you lose power to the others. Check fuse #17 in the cabin under the dash. Check for power at fuse #17 position (key on). If the fuse is OK and powered then pull up the master switch, disconnect the bigger connector, and check for power (key on) on the lt blue/blk wire (pin 6), and ground continuity on the black wire (pin 2).

I'm guessing you have wire damage inside the driver's door flex conduit and one of those wires is broken in there. If wiring tests out the switch is probably toast.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot ill check it outand let u know
Posted via Mobile Device

found the problem today...it was a broken ground wire in the drivers side door jam boot...i had to take apart the whole panel/ speaker and work in that tight area...ended up running a new piece of wire and reconnecting the ground..windows work perfect now! took a couple hours to complete...

2002 Explorer Power windows

Hey there,

My power windows are not working and from what I have been told this model does not have a fuse that I can replace. Anyone know what is going on?: :usa:

check the wiring in the drivers door jam...i had a broken ground wire in there that made mine stop working

thanks for all the info!! checked the fuse and was ok! checked the wireing inbetween door jam and WALA!!!! broken ground wire (big) and splitting wire (little)!!! problem fixed!!! TY!

found the problem today...it was a broken ground wire in the drivers side door jam boot...i had to take apart the whole panel/ speaker and work in that tight area...ended up running a new piece of wire and reconnecting the ground..windows work perfect now! took a couple hours to complete...

Same issue on an 02 XLT and same solution. It was a broken ground wire (black). In my situation, none of the windows would operate. It was an intermittent problem that seemed to get worse over time. Opening and closing the door seemed to be a temp fix. I can see several wire covers cracked in the bundle so I will like have other problems in the future. For now, touching the broken wires allows me to close the window and keep the rain out. I'll get some electrical parts and fix this later. THANK YOU!

Hello. Thanks everyone for your guidance.
I first checked my fuse -- 47A -- under the hood. It was good.
Then I pulled apart the boot in the driver's side door hinge.

Don't be afraid. This isn't bad.

On top of the black cylinder -- the one about the size of a soda can is a removable rubber tab about the size of a dime. Remove that and you'll see an 10 mm Bolt.

There is a ziptie kind of thing below the cylinder holding a rubber boot uptight. Snip that off.

Back to the 10 mm bolt. Start on that. It's finely threaded so be patient with those little quarter turns. The black cylinder will eventually be loose and you'll be able to pull the cylinder apart. It will reveal about 20 contacts that push together with the bolt running down the middle of the cylinder. The wire harness is now free in your right hand.

Peel back the boot to show the wires. For me, the Yellow wire was broken and the blue/black stripe one too. I felt good. I got some 16guage wire and created a three-inch jumper so i could connect the blue/black wire with solder. I used some heat shrink to cover up the repair. The Yellow wire was easier since I had some slack.

I put it all together and held my breath..It worked.

Back