2002 Explorer XLS Air Conditioning Not So Cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLS Air Conditioning Not So Cold

Ryechusdude

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I just joined the Forum. Looks like a lot of great info.
My situation. Got the pressure correct in the system. A mechanic did it. I'm getting cool to cold air but not like it should be. I see a small radiator at the bottom of the engine compartment. Does it have anything to do with the air cond? Or is it for the heater? Can't find an answer anywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My situation. Got the pressure correct in the system. A mechanic did it. I'm getting cool to cold air but not like it should be. I see a small radiator at the bottom of the engine compartment. Does it have anything to do with the air cond? Or is it for the heater? Can't find an answer anywhere.

Yes. That is the condenser for the AC.

There are quite a few things that can cause higher vent temps. What condition was the system in when you took it to him, and what exactly did he do?

What kind of vent temps are you getting?

The system was making a tremendous amount of noise. My guy added oil and the noise stopped. He recharged the system but only at the lowest pressure. Temp coming out at that point was 35°. Told me to run it for some time so the oil could get everywhere. Then recharged to the max pressure after driving for about 100 miles. He checked and all looked good. The outside temp here has been in the mid to high 90s. Thought that was the problem but my other vehicle actually get so cold I have to turn it down. I'm hoping that cleaning that small radiator will help.
You call it the condenser. I thought the condenser was the part run by its clutch and serpentine belt. Are both named the same? I know a little about cars but am a novice.
Thanks for replying and look forward to your next reply.

"its clutch and serpentine belt" -- you're thinking of the a/c compressor.

The part run by the belt is the compressor. It is essentially the pump that moves the refrigerant through the system.

I wonder how he knew how much oil to add? The oil and refrigerant occupy the same space, so the amount of oil can affect the charge. Pressures can be dependent on so any variables (engine speed, airflow across the condenser and evaporator, outside temperature and humidity, etc) that it is difficult to charge to them. I'm no AC expert, so the only way I know to get it right is to evacuate and flush the whole system, add the right amount of oil, pull a vacuum to eliminate moisture, and weigh the refrigerant charge in.

Maybe some of the guys that really know AC will chime in.

The part run by the belt is the compressor. It is essentially the pump that moves the refrigerant through the system.

I wonder how he knew how much oil to add? The oil and refrigerant occupy the same space, so the amount of oil can affect the charge. Pressures can be dependent on so any variables (engine speed, airflow across the condenser and evaporator, outside temperature and humidity, etc) that it is difficult to charge to them. I'm no AC expert, so the only way I know to get it right is to evacuate and flush the whole system, add the right amount of oil, pull a vacuum to eliminate moisture, and weigh the refrigerant charge in.

Maybe some of the guys that really know AC will chime in.
Thanks. I believe he did flush the system first before adding oil. I'll check with him when he's back. He's at MudFest this weekend.

The small radiator on the bottom is likely the transmission cooler, its a small rectangle radiator looking thing. If you have a tow package, you'll have a transmission cooler. The A/C condenser is about the size of your radiator and sits in front of the radiator. If you are looking at your Explorer from the front, you see A/C condenser. If you are looking on the fan side, you are seeing the radiator.

The small radiator is actually the power steering cooler. Just follow the lines and they go from the steering rack to the cooler, from the cooler to the bottom of the power steering reservoir.

It does help if you take your garden hose and back flush the radiator and condenser. Spray the hose from the nside out toward the front. A lot of bugs and dirt can get packed in there.

The small radiator is actually the power steering cooler. Just follow the lines and they go from the steering rack to the cooler, from the cooler to the bottom of the power steering reservoir.

It does help if you take your garden hose and back flush the radiator and condenser. Spray the hose from the nside out toward the front. A lot of bugs and dirt can get packed in there.
Thanks to all. Great info. I will get with my mechanic. Also flush out the coolers.
Thanks again!

Thanks to all. Great info. I will get with my mechanic. Also flush out the coolers.
Thanks again!

The small radiator on the bottom is likely the transmission cooler, its a small rectangle radiator looking thing. If you have a tow package, you'll have a transmission cooler. The A/C condenser is about the size of your radiator and sits in front of the radiator. If you are looking at your Explorer from the front, you see A/C condenser. If you are looking on the fan side, you are seeing the radiator.
Thanks again!

There are 2 small radiators with fins. There is a very small one under the front of the vehicle you can see by simply looking under the front. That is the power steering cooler.
There is another that is a bit bigger that is in-between the condenser and radiator that can only be seen by removing the top cover which is the transmission cooler.

These guys are right. Starting from the front, you have the AC condenser, then the transmission cooler, then the radiator. If the one you are looking at is right below the crank pulley, it is the power steering fluid cooler.

Did your mechanic put the system under vacuum before filling it?

Back