Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Ford Explorer Not Starting

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Magicbus, June 22, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Magicbus

Magicbus New Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 XLT 4.0L
      Hello all. I have been a lurker for quite some time and appreciate everyone's input.

Went for a drive Sunday, got up Monday, and Explorer was not starting. Just one click and done. I had battery checked, and went ahead and bought a new one. Tried jumping, nothing. I had starter tested at several places, both said it was good. 13.6V I believe. So it fell well within the parameters.

I checked the battery cables, and they were getting hot, which meant there was probably corrosion. So I replaced those. I ran the positive cable to the starter solenoid. I ran the negative to the chassis. I continued to use the smaller wire that was connected to the B Terminal. Still getting one click on start. Not sure if this setup is correct?

I have no anti-theft lights on in the inside of the truck, I pushed the fuel switch on the passenger side, and I checked all fuses, which were good.

I have all lights on in the truck, the headlights are bright, the horn is working.

Here is where I am stuck....

Would there be any reason its the alternator?

Every now and again, I will get continuous clicking, but I don't want to continue to start the car and ruin the bushings on the starter, as that is what I hear will happen. At this point, I don't want to take it to a shop as I feel the Explorer would have won. I have worked the past several days on it with no luck.

Any ideas would be mucho appreciated. :chug:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.