• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Not Starting

Magicbus

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4.0L
Hello all. I have been a lurker for quite some time and appreciate everyone's input.

Went for a drive Sunday, got up Monday, and Explorer was not starting. Just one click and done. I had battery checked, and went ahead and bought a new one. Tried jumping, nothing. I had starter tested at several places, both said it was good. 13.6V I believe. So it fell well within the parameters.

I checked the battery cables, and they were getting hot, which meant there was probably corrosion. So I replaced those. I ran the positive cable to the starter solenoid. I ran the negative to the chassis. I continued to use the smaller wire that was connected to the B Terminal. Still getting one click on start. Not sure if this setup is correct?

I have no anti-theft lights on in the inside of the truck, I pushed the fuel switch on the passenger side, and I checked all fuses, which were good.

I have all lights on in the truck, the headlights are bright, the horn is working.

Here is where I am stuck....

Would there be any reason its the alternator?

Every now and again, I will get continuous clicking, but I don't want to continue to start the car and ruin the bushings on the starter, as that is what I hear will happen. At this point, I don't want to take it to a shop as I feel the Explorer would have won. I have worked the past several days on it with no luck.

Any ideas would be mucho appreciated. :chug:

Back