2002 ford explorer sport cranks but won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer sport cranks but won't start

Bespiritu

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Need help my truck will turn over like it's gonna crank up but won't actually start up. I've changed all the fuses & the fuse sensors. And have got it to start up & go a few times but haven't been able to get it to go again... Any help would be great...

You need fuel, spark, air, and timing. Figure out which you don't have.

Check for OBDII trouble codes. Check the air filter (though that's probably not it), listen for vac leaks when you do get it running.

Check for fuel rail pressure, and when you post about an engine issue post which engine you have.

Check for spark. When it did start was it running okay? A double cylinder misfire would tend not to, but you can pull each plug, inspect for odd buildup level compared to the rest, spark test it against chassis ground, and if all else fails do a compression test while they're out.

Then there is the crank sensor. If nothing you've done so far helped, I'd replace it before paying someone to diagnose as it's the cheaper of the two. Then again I don't know the history of the vehicle or even if the battery is good so you've got good crank and spark voltage.

It's one of those cases where I'm trying to project ahead of time instead of waiting for your feedback and that of other forum members, because nobody else posted yet. ;)

Back