2002 Ford Explorer Stutters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Stutters

Deem847

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello, I own a 2002 Ford Explorer and think its a wonderful vehicle. It's been a part of our family for 7 years now and has never given us any real trouble. A few weeks ago I notice it running rough, making the whole vehicle shake to the rhythm of the engine. As I accelerated I could feel it trying to smooth out, and it eventually did. I was hoping it was just a fluke but I took it on the interstate and it started to do it again. Also the check engine light came one, began flashing, and there was a terrible odor. It got me home and I didn't drive it for a few days. Eventually I started it up and it seemed fine. I went and bought a good fuel injector cleaner and filled up the gas tank, keeping my fingers crossed. Yesterday it did the whole thing again. The check engine light, it flashing, terrible smell, and limping home. I started it again today and just let it idle in the driveway. It is idling rough and I can hear it try to smooth out, the check engine light is also still on. Any ideas?

Deem, did you get the codes read? Since you had the light flash, there is a code, and it's severe enough to potentially cause big problems with your catalytic converters. First step is to get the codes read, and you can post back here to get our help to diagnose them. Having said that, it sounds like you're having the same experience I did - running really rough, little power, and a flashing CEL and a bad smell when running. In my case the computer ID'd misfires, so I changed the coil-on-plug for the affected cylinder and it fixed the problem.

First things first - get your codes read!

Back