2002 ford explorer v6 xlt drivetrain thumping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer v6 xlt drivetrain thumping

oldgranola

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Hello,
Besides some other tranny work I'm about to do, I've developed an intermittent thumping. It started after driving on a smaller spare tire, now replaced. The thumping occurs at higher speeds, 40+) particularly while decelerating without breaking. once started it tends to stay on a while. It can be felt as well as heard. Cadence is an even 1-2-3-4 in 4/4 time if you get me. It does not change much with if at all with rpm or speed. Can't tell exactly from where from. Does this look likely to be from the tranny, differential, wheel bearings (that wold change with speed right?)? Turning does not effect this, not like CV's. The tranny work anticipated on a 5R55 is to replace servos and solenoid pack for an overdrive fail, low #B solenoid pressure error. No other codes present. Could the thumping be related.
Cheers
Thanks

Fyi, this was solved by buying new tires. Yes, miss-matched tires tripped the auto all wheel drive engaging the transfer case to bring the fronts to bear on and off. I diagnosed as usual by pulling the fuses for the transfer case 4wd motor. duh.

Back