2002 Ford Explorer XLT doors will not lock electronically, but do unlock...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT doors will not lock electronically, but do unlock...?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I just bought a new to me used 2002 Explorer XLT and the guy I got it from mentioned something about the doors not locking from the push button, the key remote or the keyless entry pad.

I can manually lock the doors and then use the key remote or keyless entry just fine.

The unlock works fine though, I'm only having issues with the locking aspects of the SUV.

Why? What do I need to fix?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard! :salute:

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Hope this helps! :biggthump

Thanks for the links but I just noticed that BOTH the lock buttons on both doors, plus the key remote and the keyless all have this issue so it's gotta be more then a broken wire.

It's gotta be something with whatever controls the locks I'm thinking.

It is common for the wires in the boot to break. Does the button in the back cargo area work? You said you can unlock it but not lock it. I would check the the boot for the pink/yellow wire. That is the lock wire. Since it unlocks then the unlock wire and the ground are good.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted!!

Do you mean if I press the "lock" button on the keyless remove OR the doors, does the BACK liftgate "lock"? Like do I hear it locking?

If that is the case, no. I do not hear it locking.

None of the lock buttons, keyless remote or door mounted ones seem to make ANY locks lock. The unlock buttons all work fine on the keyless remove and the doors though. Also the keyless entry key pad on the drivers door works too for unlocking.

It's just a pain in the ass because if I unlock any more then JUST the drivers side door, I have to run around an manually re-lock every door after that.

Also, I just discovered a button on the outside of the lift gate by the license plate. What does this do? It appears to do nothing when I pressure it.

That button is for the glass gate. Not the entire tail gate. Press it, and left up right above the license plate.

Assuming you're not having electrical issues with that. Does it make noise when you press it?

I am talking about the lock/unlock button in the cargo area. The red arrow points to the location. Does this button lock the doors?

RearGlassCustom.jpg

Since nothing locks the doors, I am convinced that it is a problem with a broken wire in the boot. Here is the wiring diagram for the door lock system. I apologize for the size, but I wanted you to be able to read it:

DoorLockSystem-Early2002.jpg

DoorLockSystem-Late2002.jpg

You can see that the pink/yellow wire is for unlocking. I would search the boot for a broken/damaged pink/yellow wire.

See Rondo's picture, thats what the button opens up, just the glass.

I'll try that button in the back. I've never even seen it.

I'll have to go look for it lol.

On a side note, the button that is suppose to open the lift gate glass does nothing. No sound when I press it.

Also while I'm thinking about it, the guy I bought the car from, I thought he said the dealer told him that some module needed to be replaced to fix the doors locking issues. They wanted like $300 for this part so he said screw it and just locked it himself. He couldnt remember exactly what they said though.

Looking at that diagram, I assume they are talking about the security module. I can't imagine the whole unit has an issue though because other things work like the doors unlock, the alarm arms, keypad works, wireless remotes work etc. Would make sense that a wire could cause this issue.

That's what I have been saying, lol! Besides, checking for broken wires costs nothing. :D

Small update. I found that rear cargo area button and pressed it. Also does not lock the doors BUT I noticed something I had never noticed before.

When I press the lock buttons, there is a small electronically "click" coming from the passenger side maybe by the back door or front of the cargo area. Maybe a relay? I tried the driver side door lock too and noticed I get this same relay click too. I'd never noticed before I think because the SUV was always running when I did it before. I was messing around in the back looking for this cargo area button so the SUV was not started yet.

ALSO, I can not get the lift gate glass open. This is not the end of the word, I'd probably never use it anyway but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what but that button outside seems to do nothing.

Separate issue I guess.

So does that "clicking relay sound" from the passenger side tell you anything more? Makes me think the pink signal wire is not broken but I'll wait for your opinion!

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Your glass might be "locked" by the lever/button located on the inside of the liftgate. I don't have a pic of it, sorry.

The clicking could indicate a relay. The rear relay box is located on the rear passenger side quarter trim panel. But I don't believe there is anything in there related to the door locks. At least according to my owner's manual there isn't. If you follow the pink/yellow wire on the diagram, you will see that it goes to the door lock relay located in the central security module. I don't know where this module is located, but this may be the relay you hear clicking.

You mentioned that the previous owner said that some module needed to be replaced to fix the door lock issue. This could be the problem. I'm guessing that the door lock relay located in the central security module is not replaceable but would require the entire central security module to be replaced. That would explain why the previous owner said that some module needed to be replaced.

I would still recommend checking the boot for a broken/damaged wire(s). It can't hurt anything and, as I've stated before, this costs nothing and you could rule that out. Everything to this point is mere speculation.

Hi to all my fellow do it yourselfers...
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 2 Door 4x4 (SUV not PUP)

Problem is I got home tonight & the doors will not lock -

1 - Press lock on the key fob, I hear the lock(s) sound but nothing happens. It also seems to set the alarm as I hear the horn beep & lights flash.

2 - I can't lock the drivers door at all, the button appears to be in the locked position (all the way down, and does not pop up when I hit unlock on key fob or pull inside door handle).

3 - When I pull up on the (D/S outside) handle it opens. Note, this does not trigger the alarm ????

4 - I can manually lock the pass door, but no luck locking it with the key fob. If I hit lock (fob) the lock button goes down a little, but I can still open it from outside.

5 - Same results if I try to lock the doors from the door panel switches.

6 - Rear glass & liftgate did lock with fob (at least for now continue reading)

Note, prior to this no lock situation I was having sporadic issues with the pass door & rear lift gate glass not unlocking. I was waiting on the warmer weather before tackling this, but a no lock situation seems to have pushed my hand....LOL

P/Door, It was like the lock button was not being pushed up enough. I can reach over from the drivers side & either pull the door handle or the lock button up. On the occasions when the p/door would not unlock I could hear a "whirring" sound from that door lock area (pass side), almost as if it didn't have enough power/juice to complete the task?

When the rear gate would not open it seemed to have that low power whirring sound in the liftgate area. Both the glass & liftgate would not open. Now I can climb through the truck and open the glass part from the latch assembly inside the gate (I took it apart when I needed access one night) if it does not open. Again it is sporadic.

I have replaced the key fob battery twice, not sure if it helped or not being so sporadic.
The last part has me thinking electrical, but hopeful for lubrication.
I'm going to try the WD40 trick today after work in hope that's the issue.

Any and all input is appreciated. I only have 1 key & 1 fob as I bought her used.
I don't want to leave my truck unlocked. :mad:
Stereo will grow legs & my new battery will learn to walk.... :roll:
Thanks in advanced for any insights.

What was the end resolution for this? I'm having the same problem. Doors will unlock just find with remote/keypad/door switch, but they won't lock. The horn will honk when I double-tap the lock button on the key fob, but it does not lock any doors. I have to manually lock each of them.
Unlock works just fine on all doors using the remote fob.

What was the end resolution for this? I'm having the same problem. Doors will unlock just find with remote/keypad/door switch, but they won't lock. The horn will honk when I double-tap the lock button on the key fob, but it does not lock any doors. I have to manually lock each of them.

Hello,
I can only tell you that I did the WD40 trick, actually I used PB Blaster. It helped, so I think mine was more of a sticking acuator.
Nobody here replied to my question, but try troubleshooting with the above methods.
Try a new battery in your key farb.
Did you drop it and possibly damage the farb?
You may have a bad (crimped / cut) wire in your door boot, so it's not getting the signal, or the acuator could be just sticking.
Oh just an FYI, make sure your lock cylinders are kept lubricated with like graphite, you don't want them to seize up from using the remote all the time, and not the key.

Gd luck with yours, mine just blew her engine....figures.
Had trany rebuilt like a year ago, and way too much more work recently to mention.
She now sits at the garage next to our Blazer that has an electrical issue, and some other work to be done. Waiting to see which is going to cost more to fix.
In the mean time, we purchased a Jeep.
Gd luck to you.

Does the lock/unlock button on the doors work correctly? What about the lock/unlock button in the cargo area? The red arrow points to the location.

RearGlassCustom.jpg

Door lock buttons in the door panels will unlock the doors, but not lock them.
Door lock button in the cargo area will not lock the doors.
I doubt it's a solenoid lubrication issue, as all four started behaving this way at exactly the same time.
Oddly enough, the remote key fobs and the door switches will lock the rear glass panel, but not the liftgate. I have to open the liftgate and manually lock it, just like all the other doors.

***update***
I haven't had time to take the rubber boot off and look at the wiring from the cowl to the drivers door, but I did squeeze it (to get a feel for how big the wiring harness is), and now the doors will lock with both key fobs and the door panel switches. Most likely a loose wire.

OK, now we are getting somewhere.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

One of my earlier posts in this thread has the diagrams from my Haynes Manual. Here is the diagram from my shop manual. Sorry about the size but I wanted you to be able to read it:

PowerDoorLocksDiagram110-2.jpg

The pink/light green wire is for locking. I would check the black ground wires & all wires in the boot as well. I have had to repair 3 different wires in the boot.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out!! :):thumbsup:

I just bought a new to me used 2002 Explorer XLT and the guy I got it from mentioned something about the doors not locking from the push button, the key remote or the keyless entry pad.

I can manually lock the doors and then use the key remote or keyless entry just fine.

The unlock works fine though, I'm only having issues with the locking aspects of the SUV.

Why? What do I need to fix?

Thanks!

I am experiencing the same problem, kdoggy. The hatchback locks & unlocks with the buttons but not the doors. I'm gonna follow this closely. Thanks for posting.
Bet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am experiencing the same problem, kdoggy. The hatchback locks & unlocks with the buttons but not the doors. I'm gonna follow this closely. Thanks for posting.
Bet

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I will PM you some good info from my '02 shop manuals tonight. I have a couple of things I need to do first, but will fire them off in a bit.

Back