2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a flashing O/D light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a flashing O/D light.

paynevol814

Reaction score
City, State
lindsay, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
I have a 02 explorer xlt 4.0 5r55w and about two weeks ago it started to shift hard from 2nd to 3rd then the od light came on, so the next day drove about 15 miles it shifted perfect then the od light started to blink and it would do a small jerk on the downshift from 2nd to 1st , it only starts shifting funny after the trans gets warmed up if this makes any sense please help me get started on what to replace thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the welcome i have taking it to transmisson shop last week no code is coming up but have been hearing a wineing noise coming from the trans only when giving it a little gas and letting off only hear when in gear

What steps do I need to take to try fixing myself, been hearing it could need to replace valve body, solinoid block have changed filter and fluid already it did help.

went to different transmission shop had it hooked back up no code came up waste of 40 dollars

was looking under hood earlier and found that egr pressure senor is not even there. harness is laying there two small pipes connected to exhaust that is open nothing covering them. could the place i bought it from erase to code. is this what is causing shift problems? am going to add a pic of this mess.

Sounds like you have a mess there, as Brooklyn Bay said there should be a code stored. You may have faulty wiring preventing reading or the PCM may be bad. When the PCM sees a trans problem it flashes the OD light and stores a code at the same time, it also places the trans in limp mode. It raises the hyd. pressure in the trans to help prevent slipping so that it can be driven to get repaired. The increase in pressure causes harsh shifting up and down. Turning off the key and restarting will return the computer to normal operation, it should not remove the previously stored code but it doesn't fix the problem and it will return.

Update::: kept driving and the od light went off shifts perfect guess it had a brain fart for a while but going to keep going till its dies thanks everyone.

I would recommend changing the trans filter and fluid, read the sticky about changing fluid, so that all the fluid is changed not just what drains when the pan is removed. Did you fix the EGR problem?

I have the same problem with my 5r55w transmission from 2002 Explorer. The OD light blinks and the shifts delays. I'm thinking of changing the fluid and the filter. But, i'll check the code first as the service engine soon light came on. Any help on this? Is it serious?

This must be an Explorer thing........my O/D light came on yeseterday (1997 explorer xlt) and started blinking. It did it for about 10-15 minutes while going to work and it was still doing it when I left work but then 5 minutes into my drive home it stopped. I went to have the code read today and nothing came up. The tranny is working just fine....no noises or shifting problems at all. I had this happened about 8 months ago and it pulled a code but I can't remember what it was. I had the tranny serviced (fluid and filter) and it didn't happen again (until yesterday). I'm not sure if I should be worried about this or just wait until it happens again.

Is there a way to get the code out of it if the light is no longer flashing? I had a computer on it a few days ago and it found nothing and it hasn't came back on.

02 Ford Explorer o/d light flashing. Slips from 1st to 2nd.

I have an 02 ford Explorer xlt 4wd V6 4.0L 5r55w Tranny 106,000 miles

The o/d light flashes and it slips from 1st to 2nd. Diagnostic Scanner picked up codes p0775 and p0745 which is a pressure solenoid malfunction/ failure. I checked the servos and the bores didnt seem to be worn although I did have a broken overdrive servo piston. Replaced that, put new tranny fluid in and it improved a little bit. Sometimes it shifts fine if I don't give it too much gas and after driving a while and coming to a stop it wont shift at all to 2nd, the rpms just rev up to 3-4 grand. Even if I do let off the gas and try to manually shift it. After it starts this, If I shut off the car and turn it back on, it shifts fine but eventually starts doing it again. I bought a new solenoid pack from 800700tran.com for 140.00 plus 17.00 shipping which isn't bad considering they run about 200-250 bucks.
Here's the link for that: http://800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159

I'm pretty sure that's the problem since it seems to be electrical since it shifts fine once I shut the car and it seems to be an electrical problem. I don't think the band is broke, checked it and tightened it to specs (10ftlbs and then back off 2 turns for 5r55/w models) Solenoid should arrive by monday and I'm going to replace it and see if it fixes the problem.

The solenoid pack is easy to replace since you only have to drop the pan so if possible do it yourself and save yourself the agony of getting taken at a dealer or repair shops. These transmission places are sharks, even if it is local. I took it to ford and they said I had a broken intermediate band because they did a pressure and road test. Wrong! I checked the band myself and it was fine. They recommended an overhaul which would of cost me about $2500-3000.00 since most people don't have a clue about trannys, repair shops ALMOST ALWAYS recommend an overhaul because it saves them time and they make a fortune off your ignorance. I told them I didn't want them to fix it and they charged me $99.00 just for scanning it and "doing a pressure test" if they even did that at al that is. So basically they charged me 100 bucks just to give me error codes off their scanner that I was already aware of.

I have the pdf files of the 5r55s/w complete overhaul book made by ATSG. It shows you EVERYTHING. I also have instructions (with pictures) how to replace the solenoid pack and the servo bore fix. I also have a Ratiotek 5r55w/s book that shows you all of the parts and the specs they need to be at, diagnostics, eroor codes etc.. Let me know if you would like the PDF files for any of them as I would gladly email them to you.

I'll get back to you guys after I replace the solenoid pack for an update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the solenoid pack today in the mail, swapped it with the old one and it shifts perfect through all the gears. No problems so far and no o/d light flashing.

Back