Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 into 2005 transmission swap

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Ali Bertsch, January 16, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Ali Bertsch

Ali Bertsch New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer
    I have a 2005 ford explorer xlt 4.0 v6 4x4 automatic with a 5r55s transmission that is blown. I have found a possible donor, a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v6 4x4 automatic with a 5r55s transmission as well. I am assuming it can be swapped but I am not 100% sure. I have heard that there is a difference but I wasn't able to figure out what the difference is exactly. Please help. Could it be a computer and wiring difference?

Last edited: January 16, 2019
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
  3. imp

imp Well-Known Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @Ali Bertsch
    Wish I could tell you for certain! Be dead sure you are looking at a 5R55S from that 2002, and not a 5R55W! Different 2nd. gear ratio will keep throwing a nasty CEL if you sub one for the other. If really a "S" I can't imagine why it would not work.

Someone else might. imp

We Support Our Troops!