Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Help Needed

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by livsmommie, June 24, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. livsmommie

livsmommie New Member

Recently my 2002 Mercury Mountaineer began making a rattling noise in the front part of the engine. Now when I have to accelerate quickly, it makes a revving noise (and louder rattling noise) and does not want to "get up and go".

A coworker looked at it and said that it was my serpentine belt and one of the tensioners. Would those things effect my acceleration? Is it more likely something to do with my transmision...maybe torque converter?

Before I head to a mechanic, I would like to have a little knowledge behind me. Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
      Monroe, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2006 XLT
      A bad belt and/or tensioner shouldnt do that...sounds like more of a transmission issue.

4. not8taxi

not8taxi Active Member

City, State:
      queens, ny
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 XLT
      sounds like the torque convertor...have the same noise...how many miles on the ex?

5. livsmommie

livsmommie New Member

It has 123,000. It went from running fine to "oh no" is a matter of days...is the cost of fixing worth it? I'm thinking of selling...