• Register Today It's free!

2002 Rear D-Pillar Fading?

bizzle

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Check out your rear D-pillars to see if you are also experiencing the same issue as me. At the top of the D-pillar, by the roof, the black shinyness appears to be peeling or fading. See below:

Has anyone encountered this issue? Have any of you all been able to fix this? I was thinking of hitting it with a little wax or black-restore. I'd like to replace the D-pillar units if need be, but I can't get a part number on them.

Let me know what you all found out.

Thanks!

Bizzle!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of mine are doing the same thing (B, C, & D pillar).

It looks like the clear coat (for lack of anything else to call it) is coming off.

Yep Mine are starting also. I have seen a lot of them like that. But since it not a safty issue I doubt Ford will do anything.

2003 Same Deal

I have a 2003 and it is doing the same thing, all the way around. The blemish is on the D Pillar and on top of the area around the doors.

My dealer pretty much told me to pound sand. That's only one of the reasons this is my last Ford product.

My 02 has the same prooblem. I am going to try to hit it with some wax to see it it helps at all. It also looks like it's starting to chip..

Wow, I'd be pissed. I'd take it back to the dealership and TELL them to fix it, hell the car's only a few years old. IMO, that shouldn't be happening.

I had a 2003 Mustang GT and the paint starting chipping around the hood scoop. Took it back to the dealership, they repainted the entire car for free and gave me a loaner Mustang GT for a week and a half.

They'll do the work, sometimes you just have to ***** a little. I would think as long as your car is under the 36,000 mile standard warranty, they'll fix your problem.

Had all mine replaced by the dealer. was still under warranty, and no questions asked.

Mine doing the same.

Srcoptdc,

You have an extended warranty? I have an extended NON ford warranty. When did you get yours replaced?

Just checked out mine. Same problem. I have a Ford extended warranty. Is the above covered? Not too hard to see but I don't think I'd pay to have them replaced.

had mine replaced before my 3 yr, 36k warranty expired. the advisor just looked at it and agreed that it was a problem, and replaced it no questions.

i also have an extended non-Ford warranty, but i believe that only covers mechanical stuff, not cosmetic. even if you're past your Ford warranty, i'd still try to get Ford to replace it; shouldn't be fading like that so soon. it just looks bad and is bad for Ford's public image. didn't chevy agree to repaint some cars well after warranty because the paint was fading?

Mine are doing the same; my roof racks are also peeling/flaking which is far uglier/noticeable than the D pillars. Mine is past warranty at 65k miles. I figured I was on my own and was going to repaint the roof racks myself. Many/most Explorers that I see have had fading/peeling D (B & C) pillars fading. I don't know why Ford continues to use such crappy paint in those areas. If anyone has luck with Ford past warranty, pass it on.

Back