Solved - 2002 Sport Rough Idle Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 2002 Sport Rough Idle Fix

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

pcgreene

Reaction score
City, State
Garland, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
2002 Sport 64k miles. Had rough idle while sitting still, cold and warm. P0171 and P0174, bank 1 & 2 lean codes. Ran fine at speed. Replaced MAF and fuel filter. Cleaned IAC with electronics cleaner. No help. Saw info in forum about intake manifold gaskets (ONP 00M12), so I took it to Ford. They found collapsed PCV tube was causing problem. $40 + $180 labor, and it runs better than it has in weeks. No more check engine light. Hope this helps someone fix their own problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moving to Technican Corner...

-Drew

PS - And let this be a reminded to everyone: just because you havea typical lean code(s) doesn't mean the typical problem (intake gasket). It can always be something similar.

-Drew

pcgreene,

I think I might be having a similar issue with my '01. From just a quick look, I "think" the PCV comes from the back of the driverside valve cover and loops around the back of the engine. Is this the tube that was collapsed on your truck?

I have the exact same condition on my 2002 Sport Trac. Just about the same mileage and same codes. I have replaced the MAF with no change, but have not proceeded past that point. One other situation, with no load on the engine(in park), if I apply wide open throttle, the engine revs to 3K RPM and misses while maintianing that RPM. If I do the same while loaded(in drive), I have no issue. Is that a normal function of some sort of rev limiter, or is it an indication of my "lean bank 1 and 2" condition?

Thanks for any help offered

yes that's a rev limiter

Many thanks... I guess I'm off to the Ford store. Too may variables and too little free time!

2002 Sport Trac 4.0 Liter SOHC
Same thing. Rubber elbow on PCV vent (look between oil fill and throttle) failed... $5 easy fix with elbow from O'Reiley's cut to fit. Failure probably due to age + heat resulting in "collapse" of rubber elbow.

I have a similar problem with my '02 4.0 v6 explorer sport. Runs fine, has ck engine light on (but has been on/off for a while). Problem is with the idle. It will sit at about 600rpm then intermittently it will drop and act like its going to stall (has stalled a cpl times). Its worse with the ac on (extra load).
I believe I have located this elbow (passenger side, connects to engine and then another hard pipe that runs round the back of the engine). There is a smaller hose over the top of it.
Anyway there is a hissing noise that gets louder when I move this elbow up & down slightly, and it is obviously collapsing slightly but I cannot see a split from the top.
Now question is: What size elbow/hose do I need and where to get it. Also how does this attach? Does it just pull off both ends? It looks like there may be some sort of clip on the bottom of the elbow at the engine end.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for your reply and I read the whole thread........but didn't really help a non mechanic to replace this collapsing rubber elbow. I don't need a perfect idle just a non-stalling one (keeps the wife happy).

2002 Sport 64k miles. Had rough idle while sitting still, cold and warm. P0171 and P0174, bank 1 & 2 lean codes. Ran fine at speed. Replaced MAF and fuel filter. Cleaned IAC with electronics cleaner. No help. Saw info in forum about intake manifold gaskets (ONP 00M12), so I took it to Ford. They found collapsed PCV tube was causing problem. $40 + $180 labor, and it runs better than it has in weeks. No more check engine light. Hope this helps someone fix their own problem.
Wow, I was just think can my rough start be my pvc valve after seeing it in the trouble shooting section for rough start. Thx. Was yours always having roughy start or every now & then like me??

Back