2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins

Dana 44 out of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer.

My plan is to get as little llift as possible as I dont feel like removing my body lift. So I am using the stock Waggy knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and likely using new waggy steering parts as well and keeping it 6 lug.

I will leave it spring under as to keep the lift minimal, and use 4" lifted springs. Doing it this way will save me from buying high steer knuckles and a high steer setup. Is this best way, maybe not, but it saves me alot money and keeps my lift to around 5".

Now for those who are asking themselves why am I even bothering with this SAS. My reasons are that my Sport Trac goes through UCA and lower ball joints every other month, and I destroy tires in under 8 months. The truck just cannot handle 35's. PLus it will be way stronger than the IFS, and will flex much more than my IFS system.

If anyone has any thoughts/recomendations/concerns, I welcome all the help you can offer.

I hope money does not slow me down, but the cold weather might, either way my goal is to have this done well before Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get me a photo of the part you need. I pulled the steering box off my 94 somewhere on the shaft, I think it was just loosening one bolt to get it off. I may have that part and could overnight it to you.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Check my last post; I put a picture up of fatcats SAS and put a box around the part that I think I need. A buddy may have a Gen 1 shaft in his garage will find out tonight. But for tonight my plan is to go pick up the new wheels mount them and get my caster and pinion angle set and weld the perches on. SOOOOOOOOOOO my next question is what should I get my caster angle at? I am going to re-use my almost brand new superlift double cardan driveshaft and have a shop lengthen it and put in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG slip joint. So I would think since I have a double cardan drive shaft my pinion angle should be a second concern after my caster is set??? Am I correct or have lost my marbles?

4-8 degrees of caster with the top of the knuckle towards the rear. Pinion is what it is unless you want to cut and turn the knuckles.

Well I went to pickup my new wheels and tires and guess what.... They do not fit... Since I have the bigger manual hub the new wheels are not big enough to fit. So now I have to wait a minimum of 2-3 days for new wheels. I guess it is because all the new wheels are made for IFS trucks. What a crock of S!@#. So my plans for getting the caster set and wedling the perches has to wait until I find some wheels.

Well I went to pickup my new wheels and tires and guess what.... They do not fit... Since I have the bigger manual hub the new wheels are not big enough to fit. So now I have to wait a minimum of 2-3 days for new wheels. I guess it is because all the new wheels are made for IFS trucks. What a crock of S!@#. So my plans for getting the caster set and wedling the perches has to wait until I find some wheels.

How much smaller are they? I would just have ground out the center hole to fit.

aw man, and I did all that work for you. Did I have the part?

Attachments

• chad 009.jpg
    chad 009.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 807

alright - alright.... what's all the commotion in here!:p:

Did you see my sas thread?

2nd gen must use 1st gen steering shaft. you'll also probally need a thin washer to get it tight to the 2nd gen steering column. I used a body lift steering spacer in mine.

as far as the box, I used two 1/4" plates to sandwich the frame. I had to replace the inner plate with a stronger L shaped plate. I strongly recomend sleeving the frame, mine inner frame started to colapse, hence the plate change the two lower bolts will go through the frame, the upper will not, and you'll need a tube to support, simmiler to the sleeves.

Here you can see my orginal plates. Left is inner, right is outer (I did not sleeve my frame) you can also see the top sleeve, for over the frame.

box_mount.jpg

Here you can see the box in place. Everything needs to be lined up first. steering shaft, and your TRE. The radiator hose, exsaust and wires all like to get in the way. Ths steering box is by far the most dif###ult piece of the SAS.

box_mount3.jpg

Here is the outer plate

box_mount2.jpg

This gives you a idea of what we started with mocking up.. again the inner plate was changed later to a angle plate for stregth. ( I tried to drive up a tree right after we finished it, and the frame started colapsing)

Steering_Box4.jpg

again, inner...you can see it's a tight fit!! Get your steering right! we had to goback and change the angle on the box at one point.

Steering_Box3.jpg

Plan out your track bar mount! I drilled a hole to access the bolt for the steering box

trac_bar_bracket.jpg

trac_mount.jpg

Here is the finished product, again before the frame started to colapse:rolleyes:. I don't have pics of the outside, but there in another plate welded for spacing out the spring bucket, again with hole drilled for access to the bolts.

box_mount4.jpg

you'll also need longer bolts, for the box. I think I still have some as I bought a box of 12 for spares. PM me if you need them and I'll get them out ASAP.;)

Hope this helps, once you get through this it' goes quick! From figureing this out we were, driving it a few hours later:thumbsup:

Good luck!

one other thing...Having a SOHC may complicate this more, as mine was a OHV, so I think there is more room.

Looks awesome.

Stic-o I took a look at your SAS thread and found all that info. Thanks for the advice, I need to get busy with this tonight and get it done tonight. And then figure out what I am going to do about my wheels.

wheels don't think so. just need the truck level, and full weight on the suspension.

You better hurry, Moab is coming up fast.

Back