2002 V6 Explorer Power drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V6 Explorer Power drain

D

Deleted member 139008

Hi All. This is my first post to this forum so if I go the wrong way with something, please let me know.

I have a 2002 V6 Explorer. I have been having what seems like a multitude of electrical problems, but I might get to that in another thread. I decided to start with the dead battery.

The battery is/was 4 years old and may have been on its way out anyway (that is, before these electrical problems started). So I replaced the battery and I decided to see if something was draining the battery.

What I found was that, initially, when I first connect the multi-meter, there is about a 1.7 amp drain on the battery. That quickly drops to about 0.25 amps and it stays that way for, say, half an hour. Then the drain on the battery drops to about 0.1 amps. I read somewhere that the drain should be more in the 0.02 - 0.05 range. So my first question is, what should I be seeing here.

The next thing I noticed is when I go to the power distribution box under the hood and pull fuse 29, the drain on the battery drops to about 0.03 amps. Fuse 29 is a 60A fuse that is labeled PJB. My next question is, what is the PJB and where is it located? I am thinking that there is another cluster of fuses in this PJB and I can troubleshoot into that thing.

Thanks in advance.

I think I may have found the answer to one of my questions. Based on some wiring diagrams and cross referencing with the owner's manual, I think the PJB is what the owner's manual refers to as the Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel. I know where that is (under the dash to the left of the steering column). Someone tell me if I am right or wrong about this.

Back