2002 V8, Ford replaced a bunch of sensors- still stalling, killing, help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V8, Ford replaced a bunch of sensors- still stalling, killing, help!!

Darcie

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8, 2007 Ltd. V8
I've been reading about some similar codes issues here, but have not found the fix yet, and I'm into my local dealership for more than 1,000k and they still can't figure it out- I'm a single mom-help!!

Repair#1: started 2 months ago on an interstate freeway in Iowa, car died and alt. gauge went down to nothing, ABS light came on and it jerked a lot. Then it popped back to life for a few minutes, but happened again. This time would not restart. Replaced the alternator and battery. Since then truck has an idle problem, usually worse when it's hot, rpm's will drop intermittently at stoplights and it'll kill. Won't do it (so far) if I put it in park. When I'm driving, it'll be like it jerks or kicks out of gear for a second in 1st and 2nd, and then again in OD it'll buck/jerk if I apply pressure on this gas pedal. If I do it really lightly, it won't. Doesn't seem to do it when the OD is off and rpm's are higher.

Repair#2: Ford scoped truck, and it showed either P1151 and 1131 (they got them mixed them up, I hope they both did get replaced) and 10 minutes after I left the dealership, the truck was doing it again.

Repair#3: Returned to Ford, they replaced a crankshaft sensor and 2 camshaft sensors after re-scoping. I asked them what else they checked/replaced, and they listed: battery, new spark plugs and fuel filter, coils, fuel pressure/pump, vacuum leaks, exh. leaks. Truck still does it, and they said they couldn't figure it out. A "mystery truck" they called it. Lovely. I took it home with their promise they'd look into it further with a call to the Ford Advisory Hotline. Haven't heard back.

What the heck could this be? Did the altenator start something, or was that merely a symptom of something else, or completely unrelated? I wondered if it was related to trans, as it felt like it might be kicking out of gear, but the trans. shop test drove it and scoped it, and say it's an engine miss, P1151. Huh.

Anyone have this problem, and what was the fix?? The truck has 148,000 on it, I bought it new and have taken really good care of it. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ask the dealer to check the catalitic converter. Mi\y 05 clogged and had similar symptons as your's. Not unusual. Good luck.

If I may ask, what dealer were you taking it to? Are you sure those are the only diagnostic trouble codes your Explorer is showing? rblais is correct that some of those symptoms are similar to what you get with a clogged catalytic converter, though that typically also presents other codes as well. Do you know if the the dealer actually verified the fuel pressure, or did they just throw a new fuel pump in without checking the fuel pressure regulator? Do you know if they checked the condition of the injectors? I've had injectors fail and present a lean condition trouble code as well (on both sides), though I also was given a code for the engine knocking as well.

Good luck, and hopefully you get something figured out.

Tom

A Ford dealership in the Mpls suburbs, MN. I'm exactly not sure I trust what they say after the tech incorrectly listed the 1st sensor replaced, and only verbally corrected it after I called attention to it (after reading forums/stickies here!). I think the truck has thrown several codes, at different times, and that's why they've replaced those sensors.
It's always hard to go thru a "service advisor" vs. the mechanic, things get lost in the translation I think. But they did say for sure they tested the fuel pressure- we did not replace the pump. I don't recall them checking the injectors. I have a call into the service dept today to get clarification on the codes and sensors replaced. Will update post. Thanks!

Get a new truck! Pricing is great on used Exploders right now:thumbsup:

Been seriously thinking about it, but still have to fix this one to sell/trade for decent price. And I just paid it off! Durn!
Also, I want a white one (I have had 4 white Exp's since early 90's), with a V8, 3rd row and towing pkg, which is really hard to find! Nothing new or lightly used within 250 miles.
I've got a eye on it tho'! Thx!

I will check on that when it goes back to Ford-thx!

A Ford dealership in the Mpls suburbs, MN. I'm exactly not sure I trust what they say after the tech incorrectly listed the 1st sensor replaced, and only verbally corrected it after I called attention to it (after reading forums/stickies here!). I think the truck has thrown several codes, at different times, and that's why they've replaced those sensors.
It's always hard to go thru a "service advisor" vs. the mechanic, things get lost in the translation I think. But they did say for sure they tested the fuel pressure- we did not replace the pump. I don't recall them checking the injectors. I have a call into the service dept today to get clarification on the codes and sensors replaced. Will update post. Thanks!
Yeah, I live in Minneapolis which is why I was asking which dealer in particular. I know Freeway Ford leaves a lot to be desired in their service department, so hopefully it isn't there. New Brighton Ford and Apple Valley Ford are hit-or-miss, but probably about the best you can do for dealer service around here aside from Tousley Ford in White Bear.

If you can get the specific codes from those guys it will make things a bit easier for us to guess. I've experienced the vacuum elbow leak, as well as the IAC issue, and those typically only effect low RPM situations like sitting at idle unless the leak is very severe, in which case they shouldn't have missed it.

Again, good luck.

Tom

It's North Country Ford. They have been decent to work with in the past, so we'll see.

... unless the leak is very severe, in which case they shouldn't have missed it.

Again, good luck.

Tom

Severe leak here and a local dealer quoted $1200 to "repair/replace" another, unrelated component(s)...can't recall what it was as this was a while back.

If the elbow hasn't been replaced it's likely shot anyway. It could also be compounding another problem as well.

Ok an update- Brought the X back to Ford for the day, and after checking it over for hours and scoping it, no codes came up, and no vac. leaks etc, found. They *think* it's the torq. conv., they say it sounds like there are loose marbles inside. A $1500 repair.

Strange that the tranny shop didn't pick up on that, they just heard a rattly exhaust. And pulled a P1151 code (again).

So would a torq conv cause these issues? Supposedly, an '02 won't a set trans. code? Also, if I do want to replace the TC, my extended warranty co. wants me to auth. a tear down of the trans. "to failure" before auth. the TC, but what could they see to replace a TC? Is there anything to see ? Thx everyone.

Ford suggested to keep it out of O/D for the weekend, to see if it really helps.

Back