2002 XLT Speaker replacement - fitment issues on 5x7's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT Speaker replacement - fitment issues on 5x7's

Joe_R

Reaction score
City, State
delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
2K2 XLT
2002 XLT - Put in new speakers...fitment issues on 5x7's

I put in my Boston Acoustic RX87's tonight. JSOUR-Thanks for your directions on door panel removal.

Anyhow, I fabbed up some wires so I didn't have to cut anything-could use the stock speaker clip. However, which is positive and which is negative? I tested both ways and there is a distinct lack of bass when the speakers are out of phase so I went by that. Any way to test with an ohm meter?

Also I noticed a gap to the upper left of the speaker. See pics (not the best) below. This would take away bass response. Anyon else notice this?

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

***The GAP***
Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may just be me, but I bought my speakers from Crutchfield and they came with instructions for removal of all the door panels(front and rear) as well as the head unit. They also came with Ford speaker harnesses so I didn't have to worry about which way to hook them up. But maybe I am just too lazy so I like Crutchfield the best.

I would say, remove the speaker then put some foam tape (double sided) all the way around were this is (speaker) frame to metal contact, then reinstall the speaker using all 4 screws, also you could drill and tap the other 2 holes, for more secure mounting.

Originally posted by pband599
I would say, remove the speaker then put some foam tape (double sided) all the way around were this is (speaker) frame to metal contact, then reinstall the speaker using all 4 screws, also you could drill and tap the other 2 holes, for more secure mounting.

Yeh. I was thinking of trying the foam idea. Think it'll make a difference in bass response?

If the FXs are amplified, then yes.
If not then no, FXs need to be power for pretty much any responce below 25Khz.

I had FX5s & FX6s in my Corolla, they rocked, I was sad to see them go.

They are the RX's...a step up from the FX. They are not amplified. Sound pretty good. They just need boost from an amp.

Damn, I can't read, sorry.

RXs really need power, I would say at least 50w+

I just bought some RX87s for my 2003 EB - going to put them in this week. How do you like them so far? Any problems with install? Did you fill in the gap - if so with what?

Thanks.

Back