2002 XLT Trans slipping and lurching | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT Trans slipping and lurching

buzzer

Reaction score
City, State
Waterbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I PUT THIS IN 911 DUE TO THE FACT THAT AN ACCIDENT IS EMMINENT!
I'll make this is short and as painless as possible. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 6 cylinder 38K miles. Here are the following symptoms. When accelerating from a complete stop it feels like the transmission slips for just a second and then grabs about 3 slips and sticks. This happens everytime off the line exspecially when you hammer it. This only happens in 4wheel auto. If I put it in 4 wheel high it does not do it. Also sparadically when coming up on a stop as you take your foot off accelerator apply the brakes and prepare to stop it feels as if the transmission all of a sudden catches up to the motor and it lurches forward. This feels like being rear ended slightly from behind...bump....We brought it in shop they did a trans service filter and fluid..no change. They replaced the solinoids...no change. They replaced some module under the dash...no change. They replaced something in the differential I think...no change. They finally called me up and said your "vehicle is all set, the condition it has is normal" the service tech even went on to say " I drove 4 other explorers and they all do it." When we got it back it was somewhat better, but now it is back to the same thing. I'm telling you this thing is going to cause an accident because it lurches into intersections and toward stopped cars. Please help. Has anyone experienced this problem?. We have 100K mile warranty and they must fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a warranty take it to another place, and tell them you aren't picking it up til it's done. It's warranty work, most places won't even think twice about throwing parts at it until it's right. If it's dangerous, don't drive it.

Check your transfer case fluid level! Don't think it is transmission, its the transfercase.

Tom is most likely correct. Maybe the electromagnetic clutch in the t case won't work in "automatic" variable traction mode, but will lock up solid to provide 4x4. I have no idea on why it would lurch. Maybe there are 2 different problems. What color is the transmission fluid now?

Thanks guys for trying to help me out. The color of the fluid is undeterminable because this is a sealed case transmission. You can't even check the fluid level (no dipstick). Anyway my guess was always the transfer case because it seems like it is slipping inbetween 2 abd 4 in the auto 4 mode. Just a quick 3 slip and sticks. The Ford dealer was not very helpful. When they couldn't fix it they said Ohhhh..thats normal they all do it. Yeah right! I have the aftermarket warranty with $100 deductable. I think I am going to take it to another place and have them replace evrything in site until it is fixed. I'll suggest they start with the transfer case. It just sucks that I have to spend all this time doing Fords job.

The newest development is this. I was driving tonight in the rain....No Slipping...That means it only slips or jerks on dry pavement. I don't know if that helps at all, but that is a fact now... Thanks

My 02 is having some trans concerns also but not that bad. As I slow down to a stop sign or red light, mine also downshifts hard and feels like I dropped the axle. Mine is slow to kick into passing gear and occasionally won't go into passing gear. It roars loudly when its cold and shifts auto 4wd very hard. I took it to one place who said the trans needed to be rebuilt. Then another place said there was nothing wrong and I needed a service.

ok on wet pavement, slips and jerks on dry... is saying transfer case to me. Stuck ion 4WD. Just a surmise, how is it in sharp turns on dry pavement?

Glacier,
You know what that makes sense to me. It does jerk on hard turns on dry pavement. I'll bet the damn thing never releases from 4 wheel drive and therefore it is slipping jerking on dry pavement. Also the gas mileage is not that good ether. Somewhere around 17mpg I would guess. The transfer case not disengaging the 4 wheel in auto makes the most sense so far. Now I just have to bring it to the dealer and stress to them that it is not a NORMAL condition and they must fix it. I have had the vehicle 4 months and it has been in the shop around 9 times. Worse part is.....it is still not fixed!

I have had some of the same problems, Im on me 3rd Tranny. Ford tried a bunch of repairs with no help so the swaped the tranny. This Tranny was terable (Read my post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69508 ) Ford then swaped trannys again, This one the third which I had for over a year now is the same as the origanal.
Ive learned to live with it. My 94 and 97 Explorers never had any problems. We will see about my next one.
Lenny

Back