1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

2003 4.0L timing chain balance shaft question

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by gotobob, February 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. gotobob

gotobob New Member

City, State:
    Orlando, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer RWD XLT
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I'm presently replacing all the timing chains and guides in my 03 Explorer 4.0L SOHC
    Many youtube videos mention that the balance shaft timing chain assembly needs to be working correctly if you have a 4 wheel drive Explorer and say it's not needed for the 2 wheel drive but fail to say you can disconnect it if your engine has one if your vehicle is 2 wheel drive.
    Well, I've opened my engines front timing chain cover and even though it's a factory rear wheel drive the motor has a balance shaft timing chain guide assembly.
    My question is, can I just remove the chain and not use it since I don't have 4 wheel drive?
    Because that would save much time and expense since to change it I would need to remove the upper oil pan to change the guide and that's a lot of work.

Thanks for your help
    Bob

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    Yes you can remove it use a flat blade screwdriver and just pop a link off

Lots of members have removed it with no problems even with 4wd

And welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
  4. gotobob

gotobob New Member

City, State:
    Orlando, FL
    2003 Explorer RWD XLT
    Thanks donalds for the quick reply.
    I was just about to edit my post as I realized this is more of an introduction section and also found the correct area and re-posted my question there.
    That's interesting that some 4wd members disconnected it and it makes no difference!

• Like Like x 1
  5. donalds

donalds Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Nc
    1999 ford explorer sohc
    We don't know why but it works lol

6. Mike65

Mike65 Elite Explorer

Media:
    In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
    City, State:
    Toms River, NJ
    00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
    Welcome.

7. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @gotobob

It HAS to make some kind of difference, though maybe small and not pronounced. Ford does not throw away dough on "Engineering abortions" unless the least-senior guys are doing final design (doubtful).

"All V6 engines— regardless of the V-angle between the cylinder banks— are subject to a primary imbalance caused by each bank consisting of an inline-three engine, due to the odd number of cylinders in each bank. Straight-six engines and flat-six engines do not experience this imbalance. To reduce the vibrations caused by this imbalance, some V6 engines use counterweights on the crankshaft and/or a counter-rotating balance shaft."

See: V6 engine - Wikipedia

Many here have removed their balance shafts altogether from both 2WD and 4X4 vehicle engines, claiming "no difference felt", which of course is subject to question. Vibrational life-expectancy for the engine would be my guess for use of the jiggle-shafts. Personally, I just might remove mine for the hell of it! imp

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. gotobob

gotobob New Member

City, State:
    Orlando, FL
    2003 Explorer RWD XLT
    Thanks for the welcoming posts guys

So my guess is Ford (in those years anyways) built all the 4L engines with balance shaft regardless if it was going in a 2wd.
    Probably easier to do that (manufacturing wise) then to have separated engine lots for 4wd and another for 2wd

Last edited: February 13, 2020 at 9:51 PM
    • Like Like x 1