2003 4WD Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jjh1001

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS
Alright just to start out I have read hours worth of information on this site.

My problem is with a 2003 explorer xls. When I start the vehicle both 4x4 lights go on and off as they should. Within a couple minutes i start to get the 4x4 high light flashing. It flashes 10 times every couple minutes.

4x4 high will not engage (i dont hear clicks or anything)
4x4 low will engage as it should (hear clicks, feel 4x4 low on)

After reading about the 2002's having problems with the 4x4CM I decided to try changing that, no help. I have checked my fuses 17,18 and 12 in the passenger compartment.

I am not sure what to check next, my thought is the problem could be the transfer case shift motor but I dont understand why low would work and not high.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the 4x4 High button is bad? If you could take the button panel off and see if it's possible to plug the 4x4 High to the 4x4 Low, then when you push it, it may work? If so then you need a new switch, otherwise it seems you have covered most of the bases.

yeah you need to get the codes pulled from the 4x4 cm and go from there.:thumbsup:

Where can i get the codes pulled at? Is this something that I have to goto the dealer for??

if they can pull the codes from the 4x4 cm, most can`t they have just the standard hand held ones, I have the laptop software that can, so its the dealer or you know someone that has the software.sorry

Finally took care of the problem, when I was going to replace the 4x4 shift motor found out that the ground cable was no longer connected... After fixing that 4x4 works like a charm again.

Back