2003 Explorer 4.0 spark plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 4.0 spark plugs

Spark plugs are normal screw threads

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone said my vehicle came with double platinum motorcraft but don't have dp only single platinum for same price so I bought the sp500 B/C "yall" said sp500. Auto Zone had dp in bosch, I said no bosch motorcraft only.
[/QUOTE]
Smart choice. Search Ford forums, Bosch spark plugs are probably the WORST possible choice for these engines.

Ford has been using the shorter "SP" part number for years, but the "AGSF" number is stamped on the plugs.

From the O'Reilly's link above:
Ford Service # (Old) AGSF-22F-MF6, (New) AGSF-22F-M
From RockAuto:
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): AGSF22FM, AGSF22FMF6, AGSF22PP
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=949946&jsn=3

Smart choice. Search Ford forums, Bosch spark plugs are probably the WORST possible choice for these engines.

Ford has been using the shorter "SP" part number for years, but the "AGSF" number is stamped on the plugs.

From the O'Reilly's link above:
From RockAuto:[/QUOTE]
My 8th digit is K so it's a flex fuel motor, does Motorcraft make a double platinum? Not sure of difference between sp and dp....but heard of many vehicles being brand picky on some parts.

Ok so double platinum just offers more life according to O'Reilly's link.

You're seriously overthinking this. As long as you used the Motorcraft SP500 or Autolite 103 series designed for your 4.0L SOHC's heat range, you're good for another 60,000 miles minimum. IIRC, Autolite uses the "P" designation for single platinum, and the "PP" for double. You've already installed the Motorcraft SP500's, correct? Rest easy, they're the correct OEM plug for your engine.

@Mbrooks420 Ok so I just took your advice on the anti seize
And dielectric grease

Took a look at my new engine with 6500 miles roughly
pulled a plug boot
No grease wtf
So I pulled a plug out no anti seize
My mechanic who dropped in my engine was slacking that day funny he did not mess anything else up ....and I looked
Don't know why he didn't put that dielectric grease I can see the anti seize tho

So I spent a half hour pulling all the plugs and put copper anti seize and dielectric grease

I have to say I expected the plugs to come out easy.....no dice not hard but not smooth I was able to turn them out by hand with a wiggle or two

However this was a good opportunity to read the plugs which looked perfect at 6500
I’ve always had great luck at getting the plugs out after 75-100k. I’ve used antisieze on all plugs since I was about 12. I’ve never broken a plug off that I had previously removed. Something my grandfather told me to always do, and it seemed like cheap insurance.

Process now and I'm hoping this right for my cylinder labels

Screenshot_2018-09-25-12-14-08.png

Cylinder 5 first plug out driver side middle
.100 or bigger gap, any guesses on the mileage? Should be .054.

20180925_122132.jpg

20180925_122153.jpg

Driver side is completed, only 7percent chance of rain and it's thundering over head so I'm pausing. Air tube on passenger side removed, didn't put dielectric in boot, going to change wires later. The plugs definitely needed replacing.

You can do the dielectric later, just replace one wire at a time, and you’ll be good to go.

They might vary from side to side.

They might vary from side to side.
.100 fits in all of them I think previous owner went and went without a plug change, just wondering how long it would take for gap to be nearly double what it should be.

Probably 100k. When I changed mine 4 were extreme and 4 were 25-30 over.

Autozone shows 57.00 for motorcraft wire set, will change wires maybe later. All 6 plugs have been changed. I will test drive, later.
Nice don't f around with aftermarket wires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back