2003 Explorer Gauges all off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Gauges all off

Cmuncher

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLS
I recently got new needles from a different year explorer (I got the white ones instead of red/orange). How do I get them back to read what I had before I replaced them? Is there a reset I can do for this ?

I think what you are supposed to do is get your engine nice and warm, which may take a while but you could possibly remove the front panel and drive to work--errand and then mark the needle positions before you turn off the truck.
Use a fork to remove the needles . Make the same drive, park and leave the engine running, and stick the needles back on pointing where the old ones were--- except for the fuel gauge needle.
You can now get rid of the overfull gauge by filling up the gas tank, then place the needle right above full, instead of way above full.

You will of course have to re assemble the cluster cover.

My ideas are my own. But I bet this would work.

I let the car sit and cool all the way down. I put the temp gauge back to C and placed the speedo back at 0. My gas gauge was at 1/4 when I did this so I out that back to where it was. The rpm needle I put at 1 for the idle rpm. Does this sound about right?

Back