Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2003 explorer sport xlt 4.0L V6

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by DavidMc1, July 20, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DavidMc1

DavidMc1 New Member

City, State:
      Roanoke VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 explorer sport XLT
      Hello everyone,
      My name is David; I just registered and am new to the site. After much browsing through the site I have found a lot of helpful info. and some great pics.
      I own a 2003 explorer sport xlt, 2 door, 4x4 with the 4.0L V6. I have owned this explorer for the past 5 years, it's been a great vehicle, however now that the mileage has reached 130,467 miles I am starting to experience some mechanical problems. About 8 months ago around 126,000 miles the check engine light came on. I took it to the local Advance Auto parts store and used their OBD II Code reader and found that the two oxygen sensors (Bank 1) were bad.
      I replaced both sensors and also replaced all spark plugs and cables, air filter, I had bought a new fuel filter but was unable to change it because I didn’t have the right tool. I still have not replaced it.
      About 3 months ago I began to notice a significant vibration coming from the front end. I found that the driver's side front axle hub was going bad so I replaced that part.
      My most recent and still current problem happened the day before yesterday, My wife was driving to work, after about traveling 16 miles she was slowing down for a stop light and suddenly the engine just shut down and would not start. This one has me stumped, the first thing I did (after pushing it off the road of course), was barrow the code reader from advance auto and preformed the diag. tests, it didn't report any active/current codes at all. After talking with the tow truck driver, a $125 later, he told me about the emergency fuel pump reset button and it was possible that switch can fail causing the fuel pump to stop working. I found the switch working ok, I pushed the button down & it sprang back into the upper position so I assumed it was functioning properly. Then I put some fuel in a spray bottle and sprayed it into the intake and tried to start it, it still would not start, just turns over but will not fire. Tomorrow I plan to check for a spark but I'm really lost on this one. Is there anyone out there that has experienced anything similar to this that could steer me in the right direction as to, what I should be looking for? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.
      David

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.