2003 Explorer Sport XLT electrical problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer Sport XLT electrical problem.

sunfrog

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Can anyone please give me some information on what could be wrong with my Explorer? I have had it in the shop, but they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Anyway, when I get out of the vehicle, shut the door, the park lights come on & stay on making me have to disconnect the battery. The same goes for when I get out & use the keyless entry remote to lock the doors & set the alarm, hence the park lights come on & i disconnect the battery. I can turn the light switch all the way to the on position, then off again & the park lights go off, but I still have to disconnect the battery because during the night the park lights will come on. Does this have something to do with the theft system, the main computer or what. I have replaced relay sensors, fuses & even the turn signal switch. Now I am stuck & need help on what to do next. Could you also please tell me how to locate my keyless entry lock code because I lost my code & I don't have the money to take it in to get it from a Ford dealership? Thank you so much for your time in this matter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for welcoming me to the thread BrooklynBay. I hope that I can get some answers from people on here because I am so lost as to what to do now. To answer your question about if I have daytime running lights, I'm really not sure. Is there a way that I can find out? I do know that when the park lights come on that they will not go off at all, hence the reason why I have to disconnect the battery. As for the keyless entry code, where at on the 2003 can I find the keyless entry module at? Thanks again for getting back to me so quick.

Do your lights automatically turn on when it gets dark or when you start the vehicle? Does the headlight switch have an auto setting? As for the door code, a quick search will show you some threads on this. They are in different locations depending upon the year of the vehicle. Some are in the rear while others are closer to the front.

"Do your lights automatically turn on when it gets dark or when you start the vehicle? Does the headlight switch have an auto setting? As for the door code, a quick search will show you some threads on this. They are in different locations depending upon the year of the vehicle. Some are in the rear while others are closer to the front."

No the lights do not come on when it gets dark or when I start it. No there is no auto setting on the headlight switch. I'm still not familiar with your site so I really don't know how to do search, but I will give it a try. Thanks for your time & any other help you can offer me.

search_EF.gif

"Do your lights automatically turn on when it gets dark or when you start the vehicle? Does the headlight switch have an auto setting? As for the door code, a quick search will show you some threads on this. They are in different locations depending upon the year of the vehicle. Some are in the rear while others are closer to the front."

No the lights do not come on when it gets dark or when I start it. No there is no auto setting on the headlight switch. I'm still not familiar with your site so I really don't know how to do search, but I will give it a try. Thanks for your time & any other help you can offer me.

I thank you for posting on how to search for things on your site that was very helpful. I was incorrect in something that I previously wrote about the daytime running lights. I looked at the specs for it in the manual & yes it does in fact have daytime running lamps. It showed me that on the rear view mirror that I could turn it to off, which I did, but the park lights still come on when I lock the doors with the keyless entry pad or even lock the doors from inside & even when I just shut the door. I will search your site for questions, unless you can further assist me. There is one last thing that I would like help with & that is where to locate the control module for the security system. I have lost my keyless entry code & I heard that it is on the top of the module. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for your time.

I think you are confused about a couple of things ... or at least you need some clarification. The "... showed me that on the rear view mirror that I could turn it to off, which I did... " stuff... that's a feature called AUTOLAMPS not Daytime running lamps. It is likely that your autolamps feature is "fubarred" probably because of the park lamp relay.

Back