• Register Today It's free!

2003 fish tailing

amos1

Reaction score
City, State
reno
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 xlt
I need some suggestions on a problem that I am having with my 2003 4wd.
I have an issue with my left rear wheel it has play in it. If I grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock then push or pull the tire I have about 1/4 inch play, causing the suv to kind of fish tail when driving. I have tried the 12/6 position and do not have any play.
I thought it was the lower bushing on the lower control arm. I replaced the bushing and i still have the same problem.
Can someone shed some light on this for me thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fish tailing

I have replaced the struts and springs thinking that was the problem, it wasn't.
If the wheel bearing was bad wouldn't the wheel wiggle in all directions when testing it??

It's the rear bearings. Had the same problem.

fish tailing

how can i check to be sure that its the wheel bearing?? some have said that the wheel knuckle holes can become elongated so right now I am not sure which way to go..
Thanks

My right rear camber rod failed and was causing a similar swerving on turns. I bought the part from Ford, $130, and installed it myself.

Part of the problem showed up when my RR wheel was toed out waaay too much. The RR wheel would not hold its alignment anymore. The rear will need to be realigned if you replace this part, if you do. Now it tracks like new.

Back