2003 Ford Exploder Engine Replacement Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Exploder Engine Replacement Questions

BlakeWinstel

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Ok, so at 160k my oil feeder tube decided it liked the plastic in the bottom of the oil pan, and, long story short, engine went boom. SO. I am buying an engine from a site that rates and sells them relatively cheap and was wondering if anyone had a step by step or at least tips for removing the old engine to get the new one in. It is a 4.0 l v6 with a direct swap. I can figure it out in reverse, just don't wanna flub it up taking it out. Any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ask a moderator to move this to the stock Explorer section, you'll get more exposure.

Looks like its [MENTION=134770]BigRondo[/MENTION] here.

I would suggest starting at one point on the engine and working in a circle so you don't skip anything. To help make it easier label things with tape so you know what went where from the old engine onto the new one. Other than that, I have never had to do much under the hood of mine so I wouldn't know if there are any tricks

Alldatapro.com has always been my best friend working in auto shops with any job. I think they have a single car price but IMO it's well worth the money. I'd start pb blasting all the motor mounts and exhaust manifold bolts now to make removal easier.
Alldata= $26.95 for one vehicle, 12 months.

Ask a moderator to move this to the stock Explorer section, you'll get more exposure.

Looks like its [MENTION=134770]BigRondo[/MENTION] here.

Done!

Pull out the wheel wells first. Unbolt the engine mounts, lift the engine, remove motor mounts and then lower engine. This will allow you to get to all the engine/transmission bolts via the wheel wells. Makes it easy. This is of course the last thing you do before removing the engine.

The hardest part of the swap for me was the radiator. The radiator/trans cooler comes out as an assembly and you have to cut the trans cooler lines. The condensor and rest of the AC system stays in place. The AC/PS bracket and parts can come off the engine and then is tied to the front of the bay. I used some straps and tied it to the adjustable hood bumper.

I used a Hayes manual with the above exceptions.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412348

Thanks so much for that dablack. That info was honestly more helpful than i could have ever imagined!

Back