2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L engine. Timing chain replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L engine. Timing chain replacement.

darspencer

Reaction score
City, State
Brusly, La.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XL
I hope someone here can help me. I am changing the timing chains in this engine and i am about to lose it. I have been to the library, on the internet, bought the manual and i just don't get it. Does anyone have a step by step diagram that they will be willing to share with me. I would be so grateful for any help.::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes...trying to time it without the special tools, I need to know the cam positions.

timing cam positions

CAUTION: If the camshafts or crankshaft are rotated with the chains out of time or disconnected then the pistons can interfere with open valves.

rotate crankshaft until #1 piston is at TDC

right camshaft should have timing slot below axis of camshaft and parallel to head surface that mates with valve cover

cam1.jpg

left camshaft should have camshaft "nub" for camshaft position sensor above axis of camshaft and timing slot below axis of camshaft and parallel to head surface that mates with valve cover

tools1.jpg

2003 Ford Explorer XL Timing Chain 4.0

Thank a lot man. i really appreciate it.

dose it matter

ok i timed the same engine with the cams upside down from the way you describe but if you turn the engine over 360% it is the other way dose it matter when there is no distributor

the pic with the timing chain that is for the cylinders 4,5,6, correct? with the piston no. 1 at top dead center compression stroke?

left vs right

left (driver) side of engine are cylinders #4, 5 & 6.
right (passenger) side of engine are cylinders #1, 2 & 3.
left camshaft has the camshaft position sensor "nub"
Timing of both camshafts is with #1 piston at TDC on compression stroke.
Timing slot of camshafts (left & right) below axis of camshaft and parallel to head surface that mates with valve cover.

Back